Challenge #888 "Dinosaurs" (26/06/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #888 for Friday 26th of June 2020 is:

Dinosaurs

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jun 29, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Maiasaura”

Non competing, pure. It’s a project I made a few days ago. It was made in Blender 2.82 :smiley: (It’s one of my favorite dinosaurs)

15 Likes

The Main Event

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Dinosaurs.The-Main-Event.html

9 Likes

place holder for my feathery boy… idk if I’ll get it done but I’m going to try.

9 Likes

I can see some interesting dinosaurs for this week. I like your feathered one.

I’m not a sculptor or anyone who has the skill to create characters, but I have a plan for some sort of dinosaur skeleton instead. I like to do environments, so that’s where I will go. It’s going to be a bit different - lots of volumetrics this time.

2 Likes

I suck at sculpting tbh normally I use some kind of base model for characters and add in details I want with basic modeling, not an option this time :stuck_out_tongue:
This is meant to be based on the Dromaeosauridae family of dinosaurs, I watched an excited paleontologist on youtube describe what he though they would be like and they are more terrifying than what the raptors in Jurassic park portrayed. Not sure If I’m going to be able to pull off what he described in a single image…

Suzannesaurus Skull - Classification Error

Pure entry, Cycles render, 32 samples & compositor denoising in 2.83.1. Composition is Rule of Thirds, 5x8 aspect ratio. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done before: used Blender’s studio.exr for the HDRI.

SuzannesaurusSkull_009.blend (1002.5 KB)

9 Likes

WIP

8 Likes

“DinoSour”

non competing (pure), Blender 2.90, Cycles (256 samples + OptiX denoising)

18 Likes

DinoSour? because it’s bitter :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Or a Limasourous :wink:

2 Likes

Here is my entry:

DINOSAUR DECOR

wc888-DinosaurDecor-Web-byrjt2020

Pure Blender 2.82a, Cycles, only procedural textures.

It was fun revisiting this topic. I wanted to do something different from other dinosaur-related projects I’ve done before.

Looking forward to seeing more entries for this challenge.

RobertT

11 Likes

Hmmm, it wasn’t my intention to do one this week, but I have had a relatively simple idea that I could maybe knock out this evening…

Off to do some homework!

1 Like

Murder Chicken

pure Blender 2.83.0, cycles, 512 samples with adaptive sampling.

I originally wanted to make this look scary with dark colors and low lighting but it’s just cute. So I went with bright colors.

9 Likes

WIP

3 Likes

Hey everybody!
First time for me posting something for the weekend challenge.

So here are the facts:
Title: Dino timmy won’t get enough / Timmy
Pure: All you can see is done in Blender and modelled by me. For the eyes I followed a great tutorial by Danny Mac 3D on Youtube. And I used some awesome sculptng brushes from blenderkit. The Texturing is all procedural (No UVs).

Might have been inspired by the winner of last weekends challenge :smiley:
Hope you guys like Timmy <3

28 Likes

Underwater Discovery
Pure, Competing

Blender 2.83 Cycles + compositor
128 samples

Didn’t have much time this week to complete something. This took less than 2 hours to make.

17 Likes

Close Mechanical
Pure, competing

Blender 2.83 Cycles + compositor
256 samples

Mostly inspired by “Horizon Zero Down”
Hope you’ll like it =)

14 Likes

tiny square with an x saurus?

Hi, Franciso! :slight_smile:

My entry was inspired by the Plesiosaur:

I just re-rendered it at 500 samples and updated the image.

2 Likes