Challenge #888 "Dinosaurs" (26/06/20) Entries CLOSED

Mini Dino

Pure, Cycles

I’ve just notice there is another dino similiar to this, so… Hi brother!

8 Likes

“Old Meets New”
Pure

7 Likes

First attempt at posting, both to this competition and the Blender Artists site. So forgive any mistakes on my part.

Entry name “Rory the Raptor”. Pure, all models made by me in blender, only the figure was repurposed from before the start of this competition.

5 Likes

Rex the toy
Pure. Cycles.

13 Likes

Hello similar Dinosaur! :wink:

1 Like

Beautiful! This could be some kind of award/trophy. For example a “lifetime achievement award for still not having been extincted”. :slight_smile:

Btw: There seem to be ‘mixed content’-issues with the preview image. As blenderartists is served via HTTPS and the image is HTTP, it may not be visible in all browsers.

2 Likes

Once, the world was full of dinosaurs like these. Unfortunately they don’t preserve very well, so fossils are yet to be discovered. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Peter! Nice entry, welcome on board. :slight_smile:

This may be an edge case, but you might want to make this an open entry as the warrior lady was reused from another project. She is slightly out of focus but I’d still consider her one of the foreground objects. I see how this may be open to interpretation but for the sake of fairness, I’d go open with this one. (However, in the end, it is your decision.)

On another note: You seem to have put quite some time into those raptors. Would you mind sharing the way you did the skin/scales? Usually, I’m too lazy for painting a texture or sculpting them and resort to some kind of procedural texture for bump or displacement. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Helge!. I love the award idea!

I deleted my external preview image URL and uploaded a thumbnail image instead. That seems to have solved the mixed-content issue.

Your image made me smile as well :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the advice Helge. Too your other note: The surface is a mixture of so many things. Having sculpted and retopologized the form I added a multiresolution modifier. Subdivided a lot, used a texture brush made in Gimp to add surface detail. Baked a normal map from that. Then made a procedural cell pattern, baked that as a greyscale then painted on that to use as a bump. Then hand painted the diffuse texture. Combined them all. A lot of work for three days :sweat_smile:

ice fossil of spinosaurus

it’s not scientifically accurate because the spinosaurus was found in North Africa.

Pure blender
I used some image textures and displacement modifier
Eevee 300 sampling

5 Likes

WIP

4 Likes

Dangerous Animals
Open (Substance for the shell and a texture for the ground)
Cycles 128 samples

Something quick and dirty this weekend. A simple model and I got in a cloth simulation. Happy enough with it for about 3 hours of messing about.

5 Likes

Sunset, PURE, Blender 2.83 Cycles + compositor

9 Likes

Baby Triceratops

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

Making the dinosaur was quite fun. I couldn’t get the “cute baby”-look I wanted, but at least it doesn’t look like an aberration like my previous attempts at making animals.

10 Likes

Happy Baby Dinosaur
Open, Blender 2.83 and 2.9 (256 samples + Denoise)

Hi everybody!
First time trying to make something for this challenge.

99% Sculpted i Blender, some details in Zbrush. Textured in Substance Painter. Some of the ground and foliage textures are from Megascans, since I did not have time to textured them manually with only one day. Took the whole day to make, but Im very happy with the result, even if it has some smaller problems doe to the limed time. And I learned to make broken eggs with booleons XD.

18 Likes

Pool Party
Pure. I used Gimp to paint the dino’s, but everything else was sculpted and textured in Cycles. I worked up until the last minute and I really wish I had more time to adjust the lighting, but oh well… :slight_smile: I had a lot of fun with this weeks subject!

7 Likes

Love the SSS on these guys. Lovely job.

1 Like

Thank you Nitram_2000 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed! Quite the opposite to my current fire and forget approach. :wink: