Challenge #892 "Astronomy" (24/07/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #892 for Friday 24th of July 2020 is:

Astronomy

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jul 27, 2020 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Galaxy of the Apes

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Suzanne Stargazing on the Porch

Pure entry, Cycles render, 32 samples & compositor denoising in 2.90.0 beta. Golden Triangles composition, 5x8 aspect ratio. Starry night backdrop is procedural. Things I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: rendered & composited multiple view layers (wanted the stars to have a bit of blur without blurring Suzanne and the telescope), then used the Glare Node on the stars.

SuzanneStargazing_017.blend (1.2 MB)

Edited to add: Yeah, I’ve replaced it with a newer version thrice now – tweaking things. :flushed:

5 Likes

Oh… my black hole render could have fit really well now… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it would – wanna do another one? :hammer_and_wrench:

1 Like

Great theme! Working on something. Not sure if it will stick.

cheers!

12 Likes

Eye to the Universe
Pure

5 Likes

Couldn’t you have used z depth for the blur?

I don’t know, use the same concept twice…

but that gives me an idea… and since i didn’t do anything yet, let’s try something :heart:

1 Like

Closest Approach - Pure: cycles, procedural textures, compositor, etc
V1.0

“After so much time, AlLo-1A, loaded with Earth’s and Humans’ items and data, finally arrives to FUR-4234, hoping to find not only life and science, but also good friends.”

That was a fun one to make! :heart:

7 Likes

I don’t know enough about z depth to think of that – I did consider depth-of-field which I’ve used before, but I’m not competent enough with it to fiddle with it when I’m trying to get something done quickly, and I only wanted a little bit of blur to soften the star noise. Compositor’s Blur Node is something Millani showed me last year, but unlike that time I was unwilling to blur the whole thing. I could’ve easily rendered the backdrop separately and composited in GIMP, but I thought that Blender’s Compositor had to have a way to do it, and it shouldn’t be hard to figure out. Was a bit harder to figure out than I thought it would be. And the compositing would have enough effect on the final that after doing it in another program I’d’ve marked my submission Open, I wanted to keep it Pure.

The Z Buffer/Depth Buffer is (essentially) a B&W image that holds information about how far thing are. You can render it along your main scene and use it as map/mask (between 0.0 and 1.0) to control a Blur filter (or what ever node you want) inside the compositor. Easy. — Of course there’s no right or wrong way to do art, now, you know a bit more about composition!

I’ve never used multi-layer composition, tbh… so, i have no idea (Something else to learn about :D)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that sometime!

A lot of what I do (outside of the Weekend Challenge) is multi-layer, but that usually means multiple transparent-world Blender renders (often of completely different scenes) that I use as clipart in Inkscape and/or to composite in GIMP. This is the first time I’ve used multiple view layers / render layers in Blender to do it all at once.

1 Like

Depth of field (or the way I do it) is extremely simple, I always put at least a bit. I just check the depth of field box, choose the focus object to be the main focal point object in my scene, and then decrease the f-stop for more blur or raise it for less.

And i sometimes go crazy and set 0.001 F-stops

Saddly, Blender rounds it as 0.1 :neutral_face:

That is strange. It may show a rounded value but the real one should be used when rendering.
Do you see a difference when you lower the value even more?

1 Like

I tend to add an empty name it DoF and then enable depth of field and use the DoF empty as the target. Position it wherever you want after that point.

2 Likes

Honestly, i never tested. Since Blender says “its 0.1” i say “ok, 0.1 will be!”

For static scenes, i just set the main object as the DoF target

My Night Sky

Pure entry: 1000 samples.

9 Likes

pure
500 sample
cycle
4 hour render

18 Likes