Challenge #893 "Astrology" (31/07/20) Entries CLOSED

I mean, there’s no prizes so in the end it doesn’t matter that much. Sometimes I see work done with Quixel scans and it’s so amazing… but essentially all the hard work was done for them, so is that still art? What I’m getting at is, it’s really hard to gauge my own progress and skill level at times.

1 Like

I don’t see any problems with using image textures and claiming pure as long as the main focus isn’t that image texture. I am skeptical of some of the pure entries sometimes though, and occasionally I’m not sure what to label mine… I wonder if we should start a discussion on whether or not we should provide more detail about what makes a pure or open entry? It’s a pretty common question, or it has been in my years here.

Yep, I’m pretty fast making (some) procedural textures, but very slow making even partial human or animal figures – I (currently) won’t attempt those for a Weekend Challenge, but some people can bang one out no problem. And some people (looking at you @fcharr ) keep making human figures for their Weekend Challenge entries, week after week after week, going from barely recognizable putty-blobs to personable characters.

We all have different skill sets, and different durations of experience with them.

2 Likes

i thought about entrying this weekend i already did space model last weekend :stuck_out_tongue: just kinda feel more of the same.

Photography is art, so I’d say yes. Is it pure for the Weekend Challenge? Different issue. If it were me I’d go with open if I used software other than Blender for what made an image pop.

1 Like

Quick low effort entry this week…

Scorpio
Pure

6 Likes

when I get lazy, like this week, I just make my entry open :slight_smile:

Would agree with you, but wanted the horoscope text to be readable with everything scaled as it is. Render time not a big deal for me, this one took like 3.5 min at 4k, 1min at 1080 and for times when i try an animation ill let i render while im cooking or in the shower or sleeping… Only time it bothers me is when i want to test… but the more i use blender (being new) the less testing happens.

1 Like

Western Astrology has a wide field of imagery to draw inspiration from – I’m a Taurus so I was going to put bull horns on Suzanne. :monkey_face: :taurus: Then I remembered that the Chinese zodiac has a Year of the Monkey!

Chinese Zodiac

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

Sunday me: Ok, I have the base plan now. Monday evening I will model all 12 animals, it will be fun!
Monday me: I hate Sunday me.

:stuck_out_tongue:

This week wasn’t easy!

8 Likes

Did you model all those? Did you at least sculpt?

1 Like

Yes, those were sculpted. I used the image at wikipedia as a reference, which helped a lot. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi All,
I´m back and I have an entry :slight_smile:
Its “Taurus”. which is my own star sign.
Pure, rendered with cycles + denoiser + compositing.

7 Likes

Wooden Toy version of the Chinese Zodiac
Pure, everything made in Blender, rendered in Cycles :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Pure entry, Cycles render, 32 samples.
Sundial with hologram star-maps for each astrological sign
New to blender so tips for improvement are appreciated :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here is my entry for this weekends challange I only had like 10 minutes so its not the best lol

4 Likes

Pure, Eevee

3 Likes

Amazing sculpts man! And you did all of those in ONE EVENING? Insane!

1 Like

Welcome to Blenderartists Ben! Hope you have a great journey.

1 Like

Thanks! Indeed, it was quite insane! But I must say, sculpting those animals was easier than what it looks: They are actually in relief, which means that I just sculpted a plane upwards. Body parts like legs and tails are all glued together.

3 Likes