Challenge #893 "Astrology" (31/07/20) Entries CLOSED

Hey there!
If you dont mind me asking. Astronomy is not astrology. I do not understand how these both relate.

This is the definition of astrology:
Astrology is a pseudoscience that claims divine information about human affairs and terrestrial events by studying the movements and relative positions of celestial objects.

This is the definition of astronomy:
the branch of science which deals with celestial objects, space, and the physical universe as a whole.

In what way are these similar? I do not believe that the solar system has anything to do with astrology which makes me believe you took it as astronomy however. You defined astronomy in your post so you were ware of this however the way you defined it is incorrect. This is just a question not an insult I hope you understand that. This also goes for other posts that include astronomy related renders. The theme astronomy was last week. Anyway. Please tell me why I want to know pls.

Hopefully this didnt sound too mean. As i said that was not why I was writing this.

Regards;

ps: have a nice day!

1 Like

Actually, both astrology and astronomy have the same origin. A gooey mix of religion, science, fear and wonder. But, watching the sky, and trying to make sense of it all, was always an important part of it. It split into astrology (connecting planets, stars,ā€¦ to our individual fate) and astronomy (measuring the universe and trying to find out how it works) eventually.
And from a certain point of view, they are still using the same objects (planets, stars, asteroids, comets, ā€¦), concepts (star constellations,ā€¦) and events (eclipses, convergences, transits,ā€¦). Even though, their goals and results couldnā€™t be more different. :slight_smile:

And I canā€™t help but think that the astronomerā€™s tools have evolved a little better over the last few hundred years. On the other hand, Iā€™ve never taken the time to look into astrology in detail, so I could be wrong.

3 Likes

ā€œHoroscope Wheelā€

Open- Symbols from google, wood texture from CC0Textures
Cycles, 2048 samples

Figure out what ya can

11 Likes

The call as to whether itā€™s open or pure is up to you and based on how much you think the image is based on pre-exisitng things. IMHO, your use of symbols and textures still qualifies it as pure. Anyone disagree?

In my opinion the symbols and textures add a lot to the image. So I personally think that is enough to mark it as open. But again, wouldnā€™t judge anyone based on their choice.

2 Likes

Agreeing with Xeofrios ā€“ if Iā€™d used out-of-ambit textures that had such a large impact on the effectiveness of the entry Iā€™d call it open too.

2 Likes

Does it make sense to render at 4K for a challenge? (Unless, of course, you are gonna reuse it) I beleive HD would render 4x faster, right? Morever, one might even get away rendering at half the resolution of that, as most people dont open the images (I guess?) in which case it would be 16x faster!

Titel:the stars will show the way home

Entry: Open
Render: Eevee
Textures: Procedural and from cc0textures
Background Environment: Procedural

2 Likes

Are you saying all you guys make completely procedural textures for your whole sceneā€¦ AND youā€™re able to model humansā€¦ all in 4 days???

1 Like

Making procedural textures isnā€™t really hard or slow once you get the kanck for it. It is actually kind of fun, for that matter.

Ok everything seems to be back to normal. So I guess it was on the sites end of things.

Waterbearer

Pure
Eevee

First time making hair (and making a whole human for that matter, although she doesnā€™t have a face or hands) The dress is a CC0 texture, but at least the background is procedural this time.

6 Likes

I share the same skepticism, I think some people fall into the lingering asset trap: Surely I could have modeled this in 4 hours, and the box gets checked. Also I donā€™t think the rules are clear about reusing materials. I still remember when Bastioni was openly used while simultaneously claiming a pure entry.

I mean, thereā€™s no prizes so in the end it doesnā€™t matter that much. Sometimes I see work done with Quixel scans and itā€™s so amazingā€¦ but essentially all the hard work was done for them, so is that still art? What Iā€™m getting at is, itā€™s really hard to gauge my own progress and skill level at times.

1 Like

I donā€™t see any problems with using image textures and claiming pure as long as the main focus isnā€™t that image texture. I am skeptical of some of the pure entries sometimes though, and occasionally Iā€™m not sure what to label mineā€¦ I wonder if we should start a discussion on whether or not we should provide more detail about what makes a pure or open entry? Itā€™s a pretty common question, or it has been in my years here.

Yep, Iā€™m pretty fast making (some) procedural textures, but very slow making even partial human or animal figures ā€“ I (currently) wonā€™t attempt those for a Weekend Challenge, but some people can bang one out no problem. And some people (looking at you @fcharr ) keep making human figures for their Weekend Challenge entries, week after week after week, going from barely recognizable putty-blobs to personable characters.

We all have different skill sets, and different durations of experience with them.

2 Likes

i thought about entrying this weekend i already did space model last weekend :stuck_out_tongue: just kinda feel more of the same.

Photography is art, so Iā€™d say yes. Is it pure for the Weekend Challenge? Different issue. If it were me Iā€™d go with open if I used software other than Blender for what made an image pop.

1 Like

Quick low effort entry this weekā€¦

Scorpio
Pure

6 Likes

when I get lazy, like this week, I just make my entry open :slight_smile: