• Sssjjjbbb
  • Ben_Parris
  • gabrielg1976
  • catblue44
  • fcharr
  • Xeofrios
  • wesley_vanroose

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Aug 5, 2020 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20200807-wc

Pure Entries

KickAir_8P: Suzanne: Year of the Monkey

andyinabox: :pisces:

Render_Style: The Basics

SidewaysUpJoe: Astrology Looking Down…

deltaray: The planets have aligned themselves to make your day better and help you in love.

Kanga3020: Waterbearer

beau11: Scorpio

Millani: Chinese Zodiac

Watndit: Taurus

Sssjjjbbb: Wooden Toy version of the Chinese Zodiac

Ben_Parris: Sundial with hologram star-maps for each astrological sign

gabrielg1976: monkey_astrology

catblue44: 13

Open Entries

fcharr: Virgo and the Twins at the Lake

( Virgo and the twins were made using a previous model.)

Xeofrios: Horoscope Wheel

(Symbols from google, wood texture from CC0Textures.)

wesley_vanroose: the stars will show the way home

(Textures: Procedural and from cc0textures)

Non-competing Entries

Helge: New Horizons | Professional Help

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 893 with votes from 48.1% of the voters is… Sssjjjbbb!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Wooden Toy version of the Chinese Zodiac

1 Like

Congrats Sssjjjbbb, and thanks to the person who voted for mine!

This week my votes went to Xeofrios’s Horoscope Wheel (the concept, execution, and composition really do it for me), SidewaysUpJoe’s Astrology Looking Down… (introspective Suzanne), and Sssjjjbbb’s Wooden Toy version of the Chinese Zodiac (s’cute!). Also enjoyed Helge’s New Horizons (aw, Pluto, fave {d’ya mind posting just how you made Pluto’s texture with procedural noise and vertex-Painting? I’d love to learn that!} ), wesley_vanroose’s the stars will show the way home (evocative), fcharr’s Virgo and the Twins at the Lake (looks like they’re having fun), catblue44’s 13 (like the cone wireframe, but found some of the blue-on-blue hard to see), gabrielg1976’s monkey_astrology (like how the lighting works for this), Ben_Parris’s Sundial with hologram star-maps for each astrological sign (nice work on the constelations), Watndit’s Taurus (my sign! like the stars), Millani’s Chinese Zodiac (nice sculpting!), beau11’s Scorpio (simple, elegant, nice use of effects), Kanga3020’s Waterbearer (clever masking with that hair, nice light rays), deltaray’s The planets have aligned themselves to make your day better and help you in love (nice take on the theme), Render_Style’s The Basics (compelling), and andyinabox’s Pisces (fishy!).

4 Likes

Congratulations @Sssjjjbbb for the win! Thanks to Kickair and 8 others for voting for me! Didn’t excpect the image to work this good. It was really quick to make as compared to my other submissions. My vote went to @Kanga3020.

1 Like

Isn’t that funny how that works. I think you’re onto something.

Thank you for the votes! I really enjoy the weekend challenge, I always keep up with it, even if I don’t have time to participate.
I thought a fun theme for this weekend would be, “80’s Arcade”. I hope everyone has fun with it, I can’t wait to see the results. :slightly_smiling_face:

???

At a guess and MHO throughout: the primary point of the Weekend Challenge is to make a “cool” pic inside of specific limits (roughly that you do everything in Blender and inside a 4-ish day timeframe for a Pure entry, or with some use of other software and pre-made stuff allowed for an Open entry). Some people treat this like "how can I show that I dedicated every free moment of the last four days to sculpting/modeling in Blender?!?!? ", and granted, there’s been some great entries produced this way. But the marathon modeling/sculpting slog is not the only skill in a 3D artist’s toolkit – quick work, effective use of Blender’s included assets, material-making, lighting, composition . . . ? Can be appreciated by WC voters.

You made a solidly snazzy entry. Did you use pre-existing images in your materials? Yep, and you marked your entry Open. Does the modeling look quick and easy? Yep, and it looks good. The composition makes it look even better. I wouldn’t’ve minded more punch with the lighting but what you’ve got doesn’t detract. And the apparent message (that astrology is as accurate an oracular system as a roulette wheel) is simply and effectively conveyed. I think that’s worth a vote – seems like I wasn’t the only one.

1 Like

Thanks! As I’m currently visiting my family, so I don’t have access to the blend files. I’ll post something on this once I’m back at home next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope you guys are having a great time!

Looking forward to it. :+1:

1 Like