Challenge #899 "Fragments" (11/09/20) Entries CLOSED

The Forgotten Suzanne

Pure, Cycles 228 samples, Blender 2.9, Blenderkit for textures
This week same as @KickAir_8P. I used the add-on cell fracture for the first time to give the broken look to Suzzane. Slight color correction in composite. I had four different renders and I almost went with a black and white, but changed my mind. Let me know what you guys think!

8 Likes

I literally just watched The Angry Birds Movie. Love this

1 Like

The last sip

Pure, Cycles 111 Samples and then denoised

10 Likes

I really like this one, looks like it belongs in a museum

1 Like

If I use textures from a 3rd party on models I made myself, should I mark it as open or pure ? Tried to find something about it in the rules but there isn’t anything there regarding that. I am thinking since all models are new it should be pure, but I just wanna make sure of it.

Thanks! Yeah, I adhered to the Golden Triangles composition lines even where a slightly different angle would’ve made it easier to see (I put a lot of work into getting that angle, didn’t want to give it up even after I saw it was a bit confusing). Suzanne’s face fragment is slightly raised from the floor because it’s resting on two other fragments and leaning on the cube a bit (puts it where I wanted in the composition). That’s three points of contact, but I’m not sure it wouldn’t overbalance on the eyebrows end – most of the fragments were Rigid Body dropped so they’d hit their natural resting position on the floor, but not that face fragment.

And I used the Defocus node to add more depth-of-field blur than came naturally to the 80mm focal length of the camera – got the effect I wanted, but might look wonky to people used to realistic depth-of-field (realism was not one of my goals on this one).

I’ve put a link to the blend file on my submission post if you wanna take a look.

1 Like

IMHO it depends on how much impact the 3rd party textures have on the render – if they’re on barely noticeable background stuff then still pure, if it they have significant impact on the appearance of the main items of your scene I’d mark it open.

The challenge isn’t just about modeling/sculpting – textures/materials, lighting, composition, etc, all go into making a great submission, so all are covered by the made-mostly-in-Blender-and-mostly-in-the-challenge-timeframe-for-pure rules.

Threw this together today after scrapping three ideas

Fragmented Soul
Open (image textures)

13 Likes

I could be completely wrong, but does rotating your volumetric solve the problem?

Nope, sadly doesn’t seem to do anything

Is that eevee? Maybe you can place a object behind/around it with a holdout note as material?

Just found a fix! Seems to be some sort of bug but I was able to get rid of the streaks by adding in another object (in this case duplicated ceiling mesh) above the ceiling. Not sure why it happens…

1 Like

Whats up with this weird samples, 228 might be a typo and 111 samples a hidden tribute to the topic!? :smiley:

1 Like

Actually, this has never been specified - so, there have been a few discussions on this matter. This is a nice one:

This one, too:

:slight_smile:

Maybe simular to this ?

4 Likes

just a good time for result that I enjoy. I’ve made some of my favorite pieces with that sample rate. I could have taken it to 256. Maybe would have been less than a couple seconds difference.

I never saw the movie played the game’s a lot, is the movie any good? Because most of the time games to movie never really translates well

1 Like

Damn, I didn’t realise that today was Monday! Let’s see what I can knock up in the next 3 hours!

5 Likes

“White Whale”

9 Likes