Challenge #905 "Remnants" (23/10/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #905 for Friday 23th of October 2020 is:

Remnants

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Oct 26, 2020 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Another One Bites the Dust

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Title: Ozymandias

Pure

Looks like I’m first out of the blocks. Let’s hope it’s not a lesson in hubris like the poem Ozymandias :wink:

4 Likes

The Landscape

Open entry, 1000 samples. Revisiting http://localhost/blender-weekends.com/Atmospheric.Clouds.html. Opened the old blend file and tried doing a save as: Could not, as it would cause blender to close. I took the advice I often dish out on FB forums, and imported the objects I wanted into a new file. Tried rendering using my rx 580 along with my 1800x, was not disappointed, it shaved 15 minutes off my render. Maybe going back to the old drivers solved the issue.

edit: Seems like at low samples, rendering causes blender to crash. I guess I’ll save the rx for final renders.

6 Likes

Thats a cool idea, kind of like a “remnants of time”.
Your clouds are getting better and better :+1:

1 Like

Suzanne - Remnant of My Beloved

Open entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2.91.0 beta (latest build). Composition is Rule of Thirds, 8x5 aspect ratio. Open because the moon texture is NASA’s. Used Sapling Tree Gen, one of Blender’s included Addons. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: used the Image Texture node’s Sphere projection to put a texture on a spherized Default Cube. This was supposed to have some nice volumetric clouds, but I couldn’t get 'em to look right (instead of moonlit clouds I kept getting dull blurry blobs).

Edited to add: now with clouds! Used a different method, got a lot closer to what I wanted.

RemnantSuzanne052packed.blend (5.0 MB)

5 Likes

“Creator of Remnants”

non-competing (pure), Cycles (256 samples + OpenImageDenoise), Blender 2.92.0 Alpha

13 Likes

Anubis
Pure

9 Likes

“Knowlege Stone - Friend”

A No Man’s Sky reference. :slight_smile:
Pure - Eevee

2 Likes

End of the cheese kingdom

Pure

8 Likes

“Shards”

Pure, Blender 2.90, All compositing in Blender, Intel Open Image Denoise

30 min job. Shamelessly denoised. Sorry running low on time, my brain isn’t working :no_mouth:.

5 Likes

Remnants

PURE, EVE

3 Likes

Scavengers Port

Pure, Eevee.

3 Likes