Challenge #912 "Post-Pandemic" (11/12/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #912 for Friday 11th of December 2020 is:

Post-Pandemic

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Dec 14, 2020 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Done!

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

does anyone know how to access the #1 weeked challenge? I am really curious to what it was and who won it.

2 Likes

Basically after the Pandemic for those not used to English.

2 Likes

As the first Weekend Challenge closed about 18 years ago, there isn’t that much left of it. However, you can find the remains right here:

The theme was “contact” and it was won by imgrandpaboy.

If you’d like to check out other past challenges, I’m trying to maintain a list of all the themes, so the winners can find a (more or less) unique one each week: https://www.geoxis.de/blend/themes.htm

1 Like

No, i just wanted to render a snoty mask in an envelope :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks! this is very interesting, its sad all the images are errors but it has been almost 2 decades

Suzanne USA - Post-Pandemic Rage

Open entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2.91.0. Started with central composition (although Suzanne’s eyes are on a Golden Sections / Phi Grid, and the graphics are scattered where they seemed to look best for the effect), 4x3 aspect ratio, 85mm camera. Environment map is studio.exr (one of Blender’s included studiolights). Thing I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: switched Suzannes eyebrows & eye socket surrounds from one side to the other to get an angry expression.

Open because this uses screenshot graphics prepared in GIMP, including from a PBS Newshour article and the US 2016 Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents, this usage reasonably qualifying as fair use under United States copyright law.

SuzannePPandemicRage008.blend (2.0 MB)

3 Likes

Free
Pure, eevee, 128 cycles, used a very subtle freestyle. Corona mask grapics are collected online and stiched in gimp. Tried first to simulate the textile covering with cloth covering a frame and wind force. Didnt work in the resolution my cpu can handle, so used sculpting.

I had first a funny idea of a prison escape with an rope made of corona masks. But didnt find a way to make a such rope.

6 Likes

Open entry

“Now everything will change!”

my first idea was an apocalyptic world with the headline “I know he had no corona” … then I thought about an elevator … with many people all looking annoyed … (And for this reason I have to say my sculpting skills are very low … so first time I try to hide an human body with a back shot …) I used the Keyborad from my entry to 897 with the double Z! so no pure…

6 Likes

“Retreat and Regroup”

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + NLM Denoiser), Blender 2.92 Alpha

14 Likes

Big Business Rise

Pure entry, simple too, 333 samples. Been working at a parcel sorting facility near my house for a month or so. Funny enough, one of the guys was there because he was forced to close his restaurant. Yet, there we were, half of us with no masks or hanging noses. Sometimes we just say goodbye to social distancing. This week’s entry was inspired by that.

3 Likes

Due to things like that I feel sometimes bad about ordering stuff online instead of going to the store. In a sense, I’m lowering my risk of getting or spreading the virus, but in reality, somebody else is taking the bullet for me.

Cute render, by the way. Simple, but gets the message across. If you intend on working further on it, I would suggest adding some text like “Big-Business Inc.” to the building on the center to make it more obvious that it is an office building and not an apartment building.

1 Like

Title: I’m Outta Here

Open: It’s all new, except the person is a Mixamo model.

This is my first Challenge entry … and I think it might actually be my first full Blender scene, that wasn’t taken from a tutorial. Sure, it’s heavily based on the big project at the end of The Blender Encyclopedia, but still…

(Which is partly my way of saying that if I got something wrong with my submission, assume it’s ignorance, and let me know what to change. :slight_smile: )

9 Likes

Ghost light

Pure I guess :slight_smile: :sweat_smile: The scratches are a texture from cc0textures.com

I am from the event industry and back then there was a custom to put a light on the center of the stage mainly for safety purpose.
During the pandemic many theatres revived the tradition to set a sign.
The thought behind this picture was, that for many of my coworkers and friends it will not be the same as before. Many of them won´t come back to put away the light for a fresh start.

3 Likes

I have a non-competing entry. It’s called “At the Tracks”. It uses Mixamo character models. This is the image that came to mind.

1 Like

That’s very nice. You must be very proud. I like the wall color. I like how the entry rug matches. Is that an isometric camera? (@ccprince)

That’s a pleasing image. I knew there would be a story behind it. I don’t really like masks though - I don’t like anything on my face. I wish you would have burned the masks instead… Your idea is less violent tho. (@rigoletto)

1 Like

I like that a lot. I wish I could vote for it. Love the color scheme and material on the corona. So simple and effective - the composition. Is that just a heavy mist to have a ground but also a non-distinct background? (@Helge)

Thanks @boder! I am quite proud of it. There’s a lot of it I’d like to improve (lighting, textures, that slightly-janky chair model) but part of the appeal of the weekend challenge is that I just didn’t have time to obsess over every little thing. :slight_smile:

And yes, it’s isometric. I figured that went well with a non-realistic scene.

1 Like

I first have the thougt to make a burn scene, but i mostly think from two sides, my mother teached me this as child. Ever think as you be the other one too. So if i think as a corona-mask: “No, it is not my fault. Dont burn me, please… dont burn me.” :smiley:
So burning the corona virus at a stake would be one option, but i already decided to make something with the masks.

3 Likes

I think that would matter if keyboard would be main object of render.
But used like you did, it could be pure as well - but correct me if I’m wrong :wink:

1 Like