Challenge #913 "The way to master something" (18/12/20) Entries CLOSED

Master the Elements

pure
*) 590 samples (denoised in the compositor)
*) cycles
*) fire, fog and water are simulated in blender (first try)
*) rocks are generated with the “rock generator” in blender

2 Likes

How about a new challenge type: “Guess who created this 3d-scene?”
I am sure i can point Helges 100% every time, the funny and original one. :smiley:

1 Like

The Master of the library
Pure, cycles 512 samples, ~10min, textured a lot of books with different titles, wanted to sculpt a little child laying and reading on the floor, but i had problems that cycles don’t want to render my arrays so time running out.

8 Likes

The Narrow Path

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

The Introspective Mind

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

I’ve been listening to Andrew Price’s podcast recently, and in one of the episodes he talks about learning. He mentions that you’re not learning much if you repeat a mistake a hundred times; in order to master something, you need to stop and ask yourself “What did I do wrong?” or “How can I improve?”. Only then you make any progress with each practice session.

6 Likes

Is the fog a volume or a texture?
How did you get the “sun rays” effect, if I may ask?:slight_smile:

For the fog, I used a volume shader (and a noise texture).
I use an icosphere for the sun - Emission 1.

The sunrays: Compositor
ID Mask for the Icosphere

1. Blur Node: Gaussian X and Y 30% each, ColorRamp for color and brightness
  2. Glare Node: Streaks 16, Fade .970, Threshold 0.3, Color Modulation 0.44
  3. Blur Node: Gaussian, X 30% and Y 1%
  4. Sun Beams Node: Ray Length 0.17, X and Y coordinates where the Icosphere is located (that’s a little tricky), ColorRamp for color and brightness
  5. Glare Node: Ghosts, Color Modulation 0.25

Connect 1st and 4th via Color Mix (Add) - factor 3

Connect everything else via Color Mix (Add) as well.

I hope you understand what I mean (and Google translated correctly :wink:)

Non-competing, cycles, 128 samples (using Make Human)

“The Way”

I am glad you chose a camera position from behind the man, not the other way :smiley:

If you want, we can surely arrange for a reverse angle and a little more… lighting… :laughing:

Now folks, let’s be mature about Nudity in Art :blush:

The way to master something is to practice![Practice Makes Perfect|690x388]
Pure, Cycles 64 Samples

5 Likes

Nice, but the stool is a threat that pushes you to work and never let you lean back.

Blender crashed at 11:27 So I had to remake the chair in 2 minutes.

I have made the chair a little more ergonomic now but previously the deadline loomed.

They call that “The Chair of Discipline”. It was outlawed in 1983 except in a few former Soviet republics.

Made all the more sinister by the butterfly pattern inlay

Thanks a lot. :wink:

I found myself struggling with the same problem about two years ago. Fortunately my daughter helped me to take some reference images. :slight_smile:

“This is The Way!”

2 Likes

Speaking of ways:

This way to the voting =>

@Levito, you did the exact thing I was thinking of, down to the wire wastebasket! Of course, you actually finished yours, where I got hung up trying to make crumpled paper, and filling the wastebasket with physics. That beat me up so hard, I dropped it all.

I especially like the pictures on the walls – a great way to show the progress!

Not quite as finished as I’d like. No window frames, glass etc. Not to mention a background

I was going to add more details like a lamp behind the desk in the corner and a pot point poking through from just off camera but maybe it’s good I don’t have those cluttering the composition.

The paper was really easy actually CGMatter has a great tutorial

I tried getting it in the bin using physics but the concave shape posed some problems so it’s just placed in there manually

1 Like

Back in my community theater days, we followed the axiom, “Open is done, and done is Art.” I think the corresponding version here might be, “Submitted is done, and done is Art.” :slight_smile:

And that’s the exact tutorial I followed for crumpled paper. I think I was trying to be too clever, making a bunch of different ones, and then trying to wrangle them all into a simulation, and in the process, didn’t get the collisions properly set.

1 Like