Challenge #917 "ABOMINATION" (15/01/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #917 for Friday 15th of January 2021 is:

ABOMINATION

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 18, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: This belongs in a museum!
demo
pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

WTF https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/abomination
I cant do that, i reverse it.

added:
Ah, that against animals was just an example :smiley:

1 Like

I hope everyone likes the theme, I’m hoping for some weird entries :laughing:

@rigoletto That got me too haha! I prefer the definition from google: “a thing that causes disgust or loathing”. No cruelty to animals please :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

I might be in this week’s challenge guys. :yum:
My pc is supposed to be in tomorrow. 🤷
I might not do anything to big I might just go simple stuff for a while. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Title: The Chrysalids

Pure
In my opinion probably the best dystopian science fiction story ever written. In most dystopian books the author has built a wall of rules that make little sense so they have something to tear down. In this one we know why they think god has punished them and the rules make perfect sense. We know where the abominations come from and we find out what happens to the abomination depicted!

1 Like

If you use textures from a website for a model, would that then count as an open entry?

Image Creation
An image created for these contests will fall into one of two classes: Pure and Open. A Pure image is made mostly using Blender, and mostly using new models. If an image isn’t Pure, then it’s Open.

If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, I mainly used Blender to make this”, then the entry is Pure.

Where a scene has a recognisable distinction between foreground and background, a Pure entry requires almost all of the foreground models to be new. If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, nearly all of the foreground models are new”, then the entry is Pure - it doesn’t matter how much of the background is new or recycled.

Where a scene has no foreground/background distinction, a Pure entry requires mostly new models. If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, most of the models are new”, then the entry is Pure.

Note that post-processing simply to add titles/captions does not affect Pure/Open classifcation.

Images must be presented as a JPEG file, the size of which may not excede 250kB. Images can be any width or height.

I marked the point form the rules in the quote bold. As for me, i decide how much time i spent in gimp for prepare or create a texture, and how much time goes for modelling, mapping and shading in blender. So if you put just a downloaded skyscraper texture on a cube, it should be more open. If you put the same texture on a well designed skyscraper model its more pure.

I guess as long as you made the models new by yourself downloaded textures are ok.

1 Like

Hi, @Helge

this rule is often broken

Images must be presented as a JPEG file, the size of which may not excede 250kB. Images can be any width or height.

I guess this is 20 years old where disk space where limited and expensive. How about increase this, screens get bigger and nobody wants to render sizes for 17" monitors anymore. 512kB or 1025kB would be more fitting these days.

1 Like

I useed an image resizer when I did my final to get the minimum kb out of an ultra hd image and still have good quality. :yum:
I’ll have to find the resizer and most all the other programs I used because, my pc crashed a year ago and I’m just now getting another one to replace. :roll_eyes:

You are right, almost nobody cares about that one anymore. If I find the time to modernize the rules, I’ll certainly delete that limit. Until then - just ignore it. (Of course, keeping file sizes reasonable is still a good idea as this will save disk space, traffic and make visitors on slow or expensive internet connections happy.)

I do! It saves a lot of render time. :wink:

Not calling dibs, but I’m trying to model a shrimp cocktail (Leviticus 11:9-12).

That’ll be helpful! :+1:

1 Like

Suzanne’s Shrimp Cocktail

“These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you.” Leviticus 11:9-10

Pure entry, Cycles render, 32 samples & compositor denoising in 2.91.0. Rule of Thirds composition, 8x5 aspect ratio, Camera 80mm. Environment is night.exr (one of Blender’s included studiolights). Thing I did for this that I’ve never done before: modeled shrimp. Pretty sure it’s the first time I’ve modeled sauce, too.

SuzannesShrimpCocktail011.blend (1.4 MB)

4 Likes

Not only that, a smaller resolution also hides the lack of detail on materials and models! And is a good exercise for the viewer’s imagination. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was not expecting to be made hungry by any entries with this theme :laughing:

2 Likes

For some reason I landed on an idea that will be really difficult. Might not be able to finish it to the quality I would like.
I really like the theme though!

Awwww, c’mon – the lovecraftian BBQ entries were just a couple weeks ago! :rofl:

1 Like

My last free weekend before going back to school so have to have some fun. Great theme. I immediately started thinking of Hellraiser. So off to the drawing board to make a Hellraiser inspired demon thing. :slight_smile:

Not sure if this will make people hungry or the opposite…

The Horror

Pure, Cycles

7 Likes

The hulk has gone wild! pure

this a scary but gross sewage abomination render were I sculpted the hulk and put him in the sewer! I was trying to go for realism so hopefully I achieved that!

5 Likes

Nice render.

1 Like