Challenge #919 "The subtle knife" (29/01/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #919 for Friday 29th of January 2021 is:

The subtle knife

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 1, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Cutting Edge
grafik
pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

:smiley: Murder on the dancefloor :rofl:

2 Likes

The subtle knife is a weapon found in “His Dark Materials” it has the ability to cut between different worlds/realities and can kill a god. Just one possible interpretation.

Not calling dibs, just letting you guys know that I’m working on a glass dagger (haven’t read Philip Pullman – Larry Niven, on the other hand . . . ).

@rigoletto there’s a problem with the vid you posted:

screenshot.2021-01-28 11.20.31

What? Where you from?
I am sure one of these should work: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=murder+on+the+dance+floor

Ah, ok: https://www.google.de/url?q=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Subtle_Knife&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiXsdi0hr_uAhVFXhoKHVe4C34QFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1gAFNfsPjsqtZ0dffWWIar
I first thought you mean a sneaky and hard to notice murder.

Suzanne’s Glass Dagger

With apologies to Larry Niven’s short story “What Good is a Glass Dagger?”

Pure entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2.91.0. Composition is Golden Sections / Phi Grid, 8x5 aspect ratio. Environment map is sunrise.exr (one of Blender’s included studiolights). Thing I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: modeled a dagger (didn’t even use a tutorial).

SuzanneGlassDagger013.blend (2.1 MB)

4 Likes

It can be whatever you want. I just added the comment so people could see all its potential.

Ps. I like and get the video connection :slightly_smiling_face:

Title: Betrayal
Entry: Pure (Eevee)

5 Likes

when your BFF succeed

Entry: Open

9 Likes

Cutting surprise
Pure, eevee, all made in blender, covered my human sculpting skills just under a big poncho and hat with cloth simulation and boots. Used a nice tutorial for the rocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xjur7uoBUo, and tried to give it an anime look. Maybe i find time to add some moss in the wet front stones and some hair coming out under the hat.

4 Likes

Magic Dagger

Open - the background image is your own photo. I made this in the summer.

4 Likes

It’s crazy guys I think I found a way to create an entire complete world in blender cycles and eeve. :exploding_head::yum::drooling_face::open_mouth::scream:
I had to look at something a minute ago to see if I was right and thus far it looks plausable. :smiling_imp:

Title: Between worlds

Non competing.

Not brilliant, I know. I wasn’t even going to have a go but I have never used the compositer so gave it a whirl.
Amended to show more of the knife and make the window clearer.

3 Likes

Yep, that helped, thx.

“Et tu, Pawn?”

I went with more emphasis on the “subtle” and less on the “knife” part of the title.
Competing pure entry, blender 2.9, cycles.

Now that I look at it, should have maybe added a chess tiled floor for more dramatic effect but sadly I don’t have time for it now. And also more texture on the curtains

3 Likes

In Shadows by the Wall

Open entry once again, 1000 samples. Had a very tough week at the sorting plant. Thursday was just nuts. Need my sanity rest. All assets taken from In the Shadows :: Underneath a Gas Lamp (franciscocharrua.com).

speaking of the wall: Kill Everyone - The Wall [Pink Floyd Full Album Cover] - YouTube

4 Likes

“What’s subtle again?”

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 Samples, Adaptive Sampling, Denoising), Blender 2.92.0Beta

7 Likes

title: opening the portal

competing (pure)

cycles
1024 samples + denoise

the only thing that is open is the arm in the forground. the arm is from “Make Human” and was posed in blender. the rest is pure.

4 Likes

Default Cube’s Revenge

Non competing, pure
Project I did for Nodevember Day 13- Medieval

Detail here :arrow_down:

6 Likes