Challenge #921 "First Contact" (12/02/21) Entries CLOSED

I laughed. :+1:

E.T.: Suzanne, can I borrow your phone?

1 Like

Hi everyone. I am back again.

Between when I last did an entry here (a few months ago) and now, all sorts of other things happened and I ended up doing them rather than Blender.

With this weekend’s theme, I have thought about doing a No Man’s Sky inspired scene.

Here’s what it looks like right now:

… and here’s what it was not meant to look like:

This was entirely an accident in the compositior. Somehow turned out good. I was applying some colour adjustments and decided to add in the mist pass before the colour adjustment node. The mist node was what made it suddenly look so different from the first picture.

Also, the scan line effect was made procedurally with the “wood” texture.

5 Likes

The red one can be a very cool background for something. The slope near the camera is too dark though.

First Contact - Search for life

Endless space, starship no. 565428981. Captains log, stardate 85236,07. Our ship is running ahead, we managed to leave our competitors behind. After a long journey from our home planet Testis, through the Urethral Belt, the Nebulas of Vagina and the Wormhole of Cervix we are confident to find the Egg of Life…

Pure, eevee, rendertime ~45sec WTF, all made in blender, no post-processing, tried to render it in cycles, but… yeah… no, if someone knows a way to render it in cycles and is not afraid to burn up his cpu, i uploaded the .blend-file too.

first_contact5.blend (1.9 MB)

5 Likes

There’s something wrong with your file because it’s crashing my video driver while rendering, and it’s only set at 64 samples… :broccoli:

Title: Farout Farside

Pure

2 Likes

That slope is really close to the camera. The mist only starts after a few metres, which is past the edge there.

I was working on something but, I might not finish it though. 🤷🙄

I’ve been working on this challenge.
Pure. EEVEE.

Some miscellaneous shots:

Cycles spin, 360 @ 12.5 seconds, EEVEE materials
ET
Cycles spin, 360 @ 10.1 seconds, materials adapted to cycles

These guys are called Dewpies; they have as-yet-unknown metals in their skin and bionic eyes that allow them to see perfectly under any weather conditions and with any amount of light.

2 Likes

-----Not an Entry----

Did this a little while back just messing around.

1 Like

I found some footage of the Dewpie Craft Landing.
15 seconds, Matroska

Download here:
Dewpie craft.mkv (1.6 MB)

Or YOUTUBE:

1 Like

Unexplored Planet
Pure, competing

This scene is inspired heavily by No Man’s Sky.

I’m also going for a wider render this time. More cinematic.

Blender’s compositor is good. This looks nothing like the raw render. My raw render looks like the first picture I posted above.

Edit: spelling

9 Likes

Happy Contact Day
A worldwide holiday where people and aliens celebrate first contact.

Entry: Open
I used MakeHuman for the crowd of people & textures.com for the textures. The rest was done in Blender in about 4 hours.

6 Likes

On the way to the first contact.

Pure

7 Likes

Cube

Pure, cycles 256 samples

3 Likes

Venus Encounters Mars

Open entry, 1000 samples. Didn’t intend on making it valentine’s themed, but here it is, staring the actors in In the Shadows :: Underneath a Gas Lamp (franciscocharrua.com).

2 Likes

this is what i have so far. :thinking:
the cubes are references for the height of all the objects.
the walls are a gun metal blue color with metal flake in it. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

i did the lines before i used a texture or two and a mapping node or two to create a paint canvas. :sweat_smile:

Arrival

Non-competing.

Eevee render mixed with toned down workbench render to help emphasize object’s edges that lost in the shadows, post pro and finishing with GIMP. Arc/circular shapes are achieved with Simple Deform mod, never tried to properly used them until now, lol. At some point Blender crashed when doing render preview, it seems I used too many lights combined with the mist, so got rid some of it.

9 Likes

i dont know if you used it or not but you could have used principled volume in the nodes for the mist and added a few texture nodes in the node editor and not the compositor and you would get a real time view of how the fog looks. thats what i used in my scene its not heavy on the system like the other methods. :wink: