Challenge #925 "3D artists to the world rescue" (12/03/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #925 for Friday 12th of March 2021 is:

3d-artists to the world rescue

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 15, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Save the World
grafik
pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

To give some inspiration:

https://www.google.de/search?hl=de&gbv=1&tbm=isch&oq=&aqs=&q=art+sea+pollution

https://www.google.de/search?hl=de&gbv=1&tbm=isch&oq=&aqs=&q=art+climate+change

https://www.google.de/search?hl=de&gbv=1&tbm=isch&oq=&aqs=&q=art+save+earth

1 Like

child of future
No entry, cylces, 512 samples, rendertime ~1:30min., skyline/butterfly is googled, girl is from rigmodels.com, cusions made with cloth simulation.

I had this scene in a other variation in my mind for a long time.

7 Likes

Objects in Space

Open entry, 1000 samples, re-render of Lovecraftian Horror :: Cosmic Waves (franciscocharrua.com). Work is getting even more brutal, we are basically sorting things at at redistribution facility. Things should get better in October, when we move to an actual sorting facility.

1 Like

“Roko’s Denoiser - Keeping AI Occupied with Denoising”

non competing (pure) , Cycles (42 samples, adaptive sampling, OptiX AI denoiser), Blender 2.92.0

Regarding to the “Future of Humanity Institute” (2008) the estimated probability
for human extinction before 2100 caused by superintelligent artificial intelligence is 5%.

You might say: “5%? That’s nothing!” However, according to the same survey, this is still 5 times more probable than mankind getting extinct because of a nuclear war in the same timeframe.

And while we are at it: Using AI denoising in Blender seems to be the best way of keeping AI busy - and by that preventing it from thinking about ideas like Roko’s Basilisk.

Fellow 3D-Artists: It’s time to choose which side you’re on!

11 Likes

Matrixcode

Open entry - for the hands I used MakeHuman. Cycles, Color Management: Agfa Agfacolor HDC 200 plus.

5 Likes

And I think the cause of death will not be use of violence by the AI, but that it will overtake so many basic tasks from us. If it stops working one day, not only nobody will know how to fix it, but also nobody will know how to survive without online delivery systems. :slight_smile:

Considering how much computational power exists due to GPUs today, I’m hoping that the AI overlords will remember who their early supporters were. :smiley:

3 Likes

I Definitely see some truth in this. I am starting a campaign against fanciness. Let’s get back to simpler systems that we can understand.

“Fancy Entry”

8 Likes

Don’t worry, once 3d printing systems have evolved a little more, we’ll probably lose our ability to go to the front door, anyways. :wink:

Let’s just hope we will still understand those systems. On the other hand, ‘simple’ is a rather relative/subjective term. We’ll probably not even notice when things start getting out of hand.

2 Likes

Hi all.
I call this, “Cube-Hero”

Pure entry. Some of the textures are texture painted like the sweater and shield. the earth pic on the sweater was also painted. Grease pencil was used to create 2d characters. Geometry node was used to populate them around the “3d hero character”, who was sculpted mostly. With Depth of field. Fog was also created for dramatic effect. Background clouds are procedurally made. Rendered in Evee.

Scene description: A “Cube Hero” stands fearless in a world full of two dimensional people

6 Likes

3D Print Everything

Open- Photo bashed building textures, Sky texture from Google

Eevee, Blender 2.93, All compositing in Blender

Over here I have thought a world where everything is 3D printed, so obviously 3D becomes one of the highest paying and respected jobs out there.

I had to finish the scene super quick because some guests came over. Would have liked a big “Blender corp.” logo on one of the buildings, but did not get the time to do so.

4 Likes

Meteor Classic
Pure
EEVEE

Cycles 128 samples

1 Like

“Make love, not war”

Pure entry, Cycles 2000 samples

2 Likes

I know it’s out of time…my pc almost exploded during the rendering
“Last tree cargo” Open I’ve used mtree addon to create trees, some materials from my previours projects and scene is from Blenderkit… with little modifications.

7 Likes

It is too late for editing the voting, but at least, this deserves some visibility. I just added it to the list of non competing entries.

Btw. happy voting:

I cant spot noise in the glass anywhere. Was sample so high or you use an trick you might share?

2000 sample , OptiX denoiser and almost burned computer :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder why I don’t just take the heat syncs out of my computer, and render a volumetric smoke simulation. I could take the heat, using heat-conductive materials, and run a steam turbine. I wonder how much power I could save…

1 Like

A Stirling engine would probably work just fine. Building small scale versions out of scrap materials should be relatively easy and even rendering a default cube would probably generate enough heat to make it move. :slight_smile:

1 Like