Challenge #928 "Vaporwave" (02/04/21) Entries CLOSED

A lot of vaporwave graphics look to me to be a pretty clean Triad hue palatte (FF00FF, FFC800, 00FFD9), maybe 3/4 saturation-tint for the most part, strong contrast in the value-shade, with a fondness for gradients. Nice pick HazelQ, looking forward to this.

3 Likes

Suzannewave

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender.

Thought about skipping this week at first, but here is a quick entry from me.
I’ll see if I can improve the glitch-effect later.

8 Likes

Suzanne - Vaporwave Glow

Pure, Cycles render, 32 samples & compositor denoising in 2.92.0. Rule of Thirds composition, 4x3 aspect ratio, 35mm camera, triad hue palette.

That was fun! May tweak it a bit, but I’m probably done.

Edited to add:

Something was bugging me a bit, and it took a while, but I realized that was it. Brightness/Contrast node in the Compositor and a bit of shader tweaking. Now I’m done. Probably.

SuzanneVaporwaveGlow014.blend (2.2 MB)

4 Likes

I thought this was some sort of pun on “Vaporware”.

From the Vaporwave Wikipedia article:

“The name derives from ‘vaporware’, a term for commercial software that is announced but never released . . . the name itself was both a nod to vaporware and . . . ”

Recalling Temptation

Pure

This is my first post here, please let me know if I have to change anything. This render was inspired by Joel G’s ENA series, which is super vaporwavy.

5 Likes

I mean, I could just use this again, lol

I jest, of course. I am working on something that is unbelievably 80’s. Some nice model practice. First WC in ages. Finally have some free time again so I might try and make these a habit once more for practice.

2 Likes

Jazz

Pure. Floor painted in Krita, The rest in Blender, Everything new.

5 Likes

Power Flower
Pure, cycles 512 samples, ~2 min., i tried to make the dandelion realistic, to give a contrast between realism and vaporwave, but that dandelion worked not as expected, so i turned it into a power flower :smiley:

4 Likes

“Classic”

This is pure render 256 samples.

11 Likes

PURE “vw64”

10 Likes

Sun city

Used Blender 2.92 to create this and rendered with eevee. pure entry.

9 Likes

Synthesis

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

4 Likes

I can’t enter this time (because I picked the theme) but I was inspired to make a VHS effect that runs in Eevee.

I’ve put it on BlendSwap in case anyone wants to use it:

4 Likes

"All In"

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + denoising), Blender 2.93.0 Alpha

9 Likes

Actually, you can post a non-competing entry if you want.

1 Like

“F U ∩ ꓘ”
Pure, cycles. (Noise was added in photoshop.)

3 Likes

vaporwaveismypassion1
…it needed more glare. Tried some post processing also.
(Could not update last post so had to delete it :cry:)

Pure, cycles 128 samples. No-denoising.

2 Likes

“Hotline”
256 Samples - Cycles

I’ll call this one open since I downloaded a transparent png of the logo without which the entry would not be as complete as it is.

Lots of fun was had in the compositing section degrading the image. Lots of sharpening and softening and off setting RGB channels to help kill it. Overall it’s a bit more 80’s than the definition of Vaporwave, but I think the aesthetic is close enough.

I was also going to render it in 640x480 but I went up one multiple of two so that we can actually view the image :wink:

On a personal note, this was another great little project to help with clean modelling techniques. All quads (except for one section at the back), no use of HopsCutter either. I wanted to figure out the cuts, groves, and triple edges myself before adding some subdiv. I’m slowly getting better at figuring out the shapes needed and where and when to add poles to end edge loops. Delighted to be back in the Weekend Challenge after a long time out :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey y’all :relaxed:,

I call this one, “Dragon’s Day Out (Over Vaporwave City)”

Submission Detail: Pure. Evee Render. Camera depth of field. Foreground dragon tail was sculpted in blender.

Image Description: A dragon (shadow on the road and tail in the foreground) flying over the vaporwave city on a bright sunny day. There’s a fuchsia Mountain as well. :blush:

2 Likes