Challenge #929 "colossal" (09/04/21) Entries CLOSED

“Bigfoot”

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + NLM denoising)

Inspired by the Hermannsdenkmal and Excalibur.

12 Likes

From the sea

pure
created and rendered with eevee in blender 2.92.

6 Likes

Thats a nice boat!

2 Likes

Great job! I love the Susanne scout and great modelling/sculpting with the colossal titan! also, if you could change what you were going to do for escapism from blender and anime what would you do then?

1 Like

The Big Money

Open entry, 1000 samples. All models were taken from previous entries:
Crazy Hats :: Beyond the Wall of Pink (franciscocharrua.com)
NIL :: The Empty Set (franciscocharrua.com)
My Home Town :: Frozen in Time (franciscocharrua.com)
Flight :: On Wings of an Angel (franciscocharrua.com)
There Is A First Time For Everything :: Original Science (franciscocharrua.com)

4 Likes

Subject 4

Pure.

Edit: Cable-tweaking, reduced prominence of text and dimmed screen a bit.

7 Likes

What about change the sword in a nail clippers? :rofl:

Thank you so much. I think I would do more gaming as escapism.

I actually thought about replacing it with nail scissors! But at 4AM I had to keep it quick and simple. :wink:

When Worlds Collide, Pure (WIP)

4 Likes

Preliminary
Eevee

Cycles

3 Likes

The Colossal Cup

Pure competing entry

Based off of the concept of the Tri-Wizard tournament cup from Harry Potter, and the Holy Grail, the idea is kinda that the ‘winner’ gets “Colossal” fame.

Cycles render, 1024 samples. 1600000 simulated particles + 3 fire sims and one 1800000 particle fluid sim.

3 Likes

Thunderstorm
Pure: all new, all Blender (and addons shipped with Blender).
Updated with the larger (and more samples) overnight render. Went a little darker this time. Also, realized I had left out the diffuse pass in the compositor, so the ground was all black. Far less denoise smearing now, but still had a couple hot pixels that despeckle and denoise just couldn’t overcome. Would be easy enough to retouch them out.

9 Likes

Cycles (200) pure entry 2.83.

Thanks for the doing these contest.

2 Likes

The Myth of Sisyphus

Open : Basically all done in Blender instead the overlay texture, i simply trace an image for the silhouette and final touches in photoshop.

8 Likes

The Gates of Hell

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

9 Likes

Since the contest is wrapping up, here is a little behind-the-scenes, Making-of “The Tower”:

4 Likes

Appreciate it when there is a human for scale… :smile:

For me, the Skin modifier was probably the biggest time-saver - could make these 19-vert stick figure “humans”… Also, used one of these “humans” (modifiers applied) as the base mesh for the sculpt. Decided on the composition before starting so didn’t sculpt more detail than needed (and deliberately chose a subject where I could “keep it rough” - also as a time-saving strategy).

5 Likes

This was a good challenge for composition and scale. I like how you made your people in the shadows.

1 Like

I think it is tricky to use text. I’m not sure if you did some sort of outline/border around the text to make it stand out. But my eye went straight towards text first without seeing the whole piece of art. I would think about if you can take the text out before the contest ends, or maybe remove the outline or fade it a bit.