Challenge #938 "Shades" (11/06/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #938 for Friday 11th of June 2021 is:

Shades

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jun 14, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Shades

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shades of the Rainbow
Pure, using cycles. Also, the entire scene is made procedurally, everything is made with shader nodes. Rainbow uses the world nodes, clouds use volume, and the cliff thing in the middle uses displacement.

7 Likes

Nightly Shades
open

9 Likes

Shadows welcome
Pure, cycles 1024 samples, no colors used. No denoise, it fits for me. All procedural terrain, used the experimental adaptive subdivision. It is nice but placing rocks on that is a pain.
Wish there is a BVH cache. Maybe i try a night version tomorrow.

Day version

Night version was so easy and looks so more beautiful. It is denoised.

6 Likes

Would it work to use geometry nodes to place the rocks?

Afaik the generated mesh data is not available for other processing pipes.

Did you just place the rocks, or are the actually a part of the terrain? If it’s the latter, then I don’t think you can do it with geo nodes as of now.

No, the rocks are placed separately. For the terrain i only used displacement, not geo nodes.

Well, I just tried to get any result that works both with displacement and geo nodes, but it just gets very odd results that don’t do what I need so I guess it doesn’t work as of now.

Shades of Watermelon

Pure. cycles 256 samples, blender 2.93

10 Likes

Shades in dark
Pure

Blender2.93-Cycles with denoise
For the background fog, I followed this tutorial on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NrOXReR3Dk
Thank you
Good luck for all :heart:

8 Likes

Rainbow Refraction Bubbles

Pure, Cycles, Blender 3.0 alpha (Cycles X)

Quick one hour piece, turned out better than I expected.

11 Likes

Title: 0x2C2C2C - 0xD6D6D6 / 0x32

Eevee: and Compositer

Pure:

8 Likes

Title shades of tokyo nights
cycles 256 sample
blender compositer
Pure

8 Likes

“Shades” reminded me of the classic shade from Warcraft 3. I really didn’t like how they interpreted it in World of Warcraft, getting rid of his mouth and generally making him pretty generic looking. I thought it’d be fun to take the old design and make it in a scary semi-realistic style rather than their cartoony art style in the end though:

Pure, sculpted in Blender from a couple of cubes and a ton of voxel remesh, procedural textures and a little bit of vertex paint, rendered in Eevee!

12 Likes

“Shades”

pure (non competing), Eevee, Blender 2.93.0

11 Likes

Under the Sun

Pure entry 1000 samples. Not sure why, but this weekend I was able to connect the dots, not for lack of being tired from work, this week was brutal. I should be in bed right now :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I will admit, I didn’t expect so many people going for a summer/sunglasses theme…but it is half of June after all.

Title: dream shades

Non-competing, pure, cycles 300 samples and denoiser. I was going crazy to make the glasses reflection. I ended up projecting an imgage from view.

7 Likes

Lamp Shade Shader

Pure

The lamps are all identical, the shader deforms them using vector displacement. The fairy lights are a simple mesh of one light on a cable, with array and curve modifiers and a lot of twist on the curve.

Here’s how it looks in the viewport:

14 Likes

Shady Place. Pure, cycles 128.

was going for a “painted” look this week so uv’s all coloured in clip studio and post comp in blender.

5 Likes