Challenge #938 "Shades" (11/06/21) Entries CLOSED

Rainbow Refraction Bubbles

Pure, Cycles, Blender 3.0 alpha (Cycles X)

Quick one hour piece, turned out better than I expected.

11 Likes

Title: 0x2C2C2C - 0xD6D6D6 / 0x32

Eevee: and Compositer

Pure:

8 Likes

Title shades of tokyo nights
cycles 256 sample
blender compositer
Pure

8 Likes

“Shades” reminded me of the classic shade from Warcraft 3. I really didn’t like how they interpreted it in World of Warcraft, getting rid of his mouth and generally making him pretty generic looking. I thought it’d be fun to take the old design and make it in a scary semi-realistic style rather than their cartoony art style in the end though:

Pure, sculpted in Blender from a couple of cubes and a ton of voxel remesh, procedural textures and a little bit of vertex paint, rendered in Eevee!

12 Likes

“Shades”

pure (non competing), Eevee, Blender 2.93.0

11 Likes

Under the Sun

Pure entry 1000 samples. Not sure why, but this weekend I was able to connect the dots, not for lack of being tired from work, this week was brutal. I should be in bed right now :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I will admit, I didn’t expect so many people going for a summer/sunglasses theme…but it is half of June after all.

Title: dream shades

Non-competing, pure, cycles 300 samples and denoiser. I was going crazy to make the glasses reflection. I ended up projecting an imgage from view.

7 Likes

Lamp Shade Shader

Pure

The lamps are all identical, the shader deforms them using vector displacement. The fairy lights are a simple mesh of one light on a cable, with array and curve modifiers and a lot of twist on the curve.

Here’s how it looks in the viewport:

14 Likes

Shady Place. Pure, cycles 128.

was going for a “painted” look this week so uv’s all coloured in clip studio and post comp in blender.

5 Likes

SHADES OF FEAR

PURE Made in Blender & Render in Cycles

I don’t know by just seeing the Theme for this Challenge this Image just comes to my mind so I just made it and the shades of Black and White Gives me the spooky and horror vibes so I just use this theme to show you the first thing comes in my mind.

8 Likes

“Shades on a table after a mild rain”

OPEN used Aviator sunglasses by Kimppo in Sketchfab → licensed under Creative Commons Attribution, had to retopo a bunch of the geometry though spent a few hours just doing that. Everything is done in Blender.

First time joining this challenge, have only seen this last week and man why haven’t I seen this before in my life lol. I wasn’t really sure about the theme for this week but I had some time so I gave it a try. The details are mostly quite subtle since the effect that I went for is old film. The rain on the shades are actually a lot but once the effects are punched in they just blend in :(.

12 Likes

Shades of blue

Pure
Quick piece. Trying to get back in the challenge more often :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Night Sky’s

Pure Entry

Geometry nodes in 2.93 have been great fun to work with.

6 Likes

Shades

Pure entry, made from scratch in Blender and rendered using Cycles at 1,500 samples.

I haven’t been able to enter the Weekend Challenge for quite a while (years), but have a new computer and wanted to see what it can do as well as get back into challenging myself. It just seemed like fate to enter this since my gamer handle on mic is Shades.

4 Likes

Shades

Pure, Cycles w OpenDenoise and compositing in Blender. Most of the time was spent on gas simulation and still have a lot to learn.

Method

Very simple scene using cloth sims, fluid(gas) sims and the Experimental adaptive subdivision with material displacement in Cycles (Easy to throw stuff together but takes ages to render).

Went for a Forgotten Realms inspired “shades” interpretation. Enjoy.

A rainbow of entries this week… (and some night terrors also). Nice materials @HazelQ, is that an Eevee render?

1 Like

Thanks! It uses vector displacement to shape the lampshades which isn’t supported in Eevee as far as I know. Also the lighting is subsurface scattering with a point light inside each lampshade, which takes a very high sample count in Cycles to get a realistic result.

Shady Boys
Pure

2 Likes

Shades of vintage city

OPEN , I’ve used some models from my earlier projects and few things downoladed from Blenderkit. Composition made in GIMP. All rendered in cycles 2000 samples, Blender 2.93

6 Likes

Shady Bussinesses

Open: the gnome guy is an unused figure from a previous challenge. His cloths and all the rest is pure.

1 Like

It is almost 2AM over here. Time for some nightshades:

2 Likes