• HazelQ
  • zeroskilz
  • Boder
  • wesley_vanroose
  • Sir_Damian_Blake
  • Karmon
  • Tachtian
0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

Pure Entries

Experience: Shades of the Rainbow

rigoletto: Shadows welcome

AravindCG: Shades of Watermelon

GreenRuke: Shades in dark

Xeofrios: Rainbow Refraction Bubbles

AlphaChannel: 0x2C2C2C - 0xD6D6D6 / 0x32

GHORABEKA: shades of tokyo nights

ArooBaito: shade

fcharr: Under the Sun

iderdown: Shady Place

myungarts: SHADES OF FEAR

Jerebou: Shades of blue

Revi_Xoinh: Night Sky’s

Phantascene: Shades

HazelQ: Lamp Shade Shader

zeroskilz: Shades

Boder: Shady Boys

Open Entries

wesley_vanroose: Nightly Shades

Sir_Damian_Blake: Shades on a table after a mild rain

(OPEN used Aviator sunglasses by Kimppo in Sketchfab → licensed under Creative Commons Attribution, had to retopo a bunch of the geometry though spent a few hours just doing that. Everything is done in Blender.)

Karmon: Shades of vintage city

(OPEN , I’ve used some models from my earlier projects and few things downoladed from Blenderkit. Composition made in GIMP. All rendered in cycles 2000 samples, Blender 2.93)

Tachtian: Shady Bussinesses

(Open: the gnome guy is an unused figure from a previous challenge. His cloths and all the rest is pure.)

Non-competing Entries

Helge: Shades

LackaDaisic: dream shades

1 Like

Great work everyone! My personal picks were AlphaChannel, GHORABEKA, and wesley_vanroose! There were some really great ones in here though, I loved the materials of Shades of Watermelon for Aravind’s for sure!

Looking forward to the next one!

5 Likes

There’s so many great entries I’m genuinely struggling to pick just 3. Amazing work everyone! :heart:

6 Likes

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 938 with votes from 43.2% of the voters is… HazelQ!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Lamp Shade Shader

4 Likes

Congrats @HazelQ

And thank you person who voted for me

I voted @Xeofrios @ArooBaito @anon43109672

If I had more votes: GreenRuke, Jerebou, HazelQ, and Karmon

Constructive Feedback for the others (only read if you want to)

Experience: Kinda had trouble telling what was going on and too rainbow-y. made me think of Super Mario 64 when you had the islands with cannons and blast clouds
rigoletto: Just feels a little unfinished but I like the imagination, very grey
AlphaChannel: I can see why this might appeal but the overall structure and shapes confuse me
GHORABEKA: Kinda pretty but disorienting if other way is up? too much black
fcharr: Solid image, except the theme isn’t strong enough and color/contrast needs help
iderdown: Really like the image and concept, great job on the human but it is just so hard to have a human that looks good enough for the rest of the image… and the sky style seems to conflict with some of the other styles going on
myungarts: interesting, unique, don’t know what to say about this LOL
Revi_Xoinh: Pretty solid, it’s just missing something that would grab me and (another note) it is hard to go more 2D
Phantascene: Nice model, the text looks kinda old-school and not so great, with a lighter background and no text I could easily vote for this if the competition wasn’t so high
zeroskillz: creative concept, reminds me a bit of old 1st person games like Duke nukem, Hexen, not sure the walls add that much, not sure what else to say except I passed this one up because it wasn’t really the theme I was thinking and I like color
Boder: kinda goofy and a bit too simple, feel like the colors could match better (in the stripes)
wesley_vanroose: I like the DOF and the ambiance, the ghost’s face feels more cartoon-y or like a kid’s dress up than something scary
Sir_Damian_Blake: DOF is too strong to see the model and overall too muted for me, I kinda like that it has a sepia/noir/vignette kinda thing but it somehow manages to feel like there is not enough going but at the same time not being clear what the scene is showing (could play around with a few other objects, camera angle)
Tachtian: This one was sorta funny to me, reminded me of Harry Potter, the background is washed out (I didn’t read it correctly at first at all) and the pops of color don’t quite work for me, like especially the guy has some brown? some motion blur would really help the books and the gold is too intense in color. also the sword looks jagged liek some sort of chainsaw and the proportions of the characters are more fantastical than the backdrop ( I realize a lot of old Disney did this) The gnome guy just seemed kinda fat and ugly, he doesn’t look the type to get mesed up in shady businesses

5 Likes

“First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?” (“Contact”)

3 Likes

Doh, i missed to vote, would not make any difference anyway. :smiley: @HazelQ wins every time with a head start if i remeber right.

Broke a toe so i am at home office an my daily routine is off the line.

1 Like