Challenge #955 "ancient rome" (08/10/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #955 for Friday 8th of October 2021 is:

ancient rome

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Oct 11, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Still there

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Bread and games
Pure, cycles 128 samples, rendertime ~ 1min, all made in blender, just used the blender logo, tried to make a more dynamic pose but looks it needs a remesh and rig for that, thought it could be done with the sculpt pose brush but that didnt work as expected. If anyone have constructive criticism at the sculpt i appreciate it.

@Helge s great render with the bokeh inspire me a dark scene with sparks.

bread_and_games10_unposed.blend (3.4 MB)
bread_and_games10.blend (3.8 MB)

Summary

4 Likes

I have seen one tutorial with this genius statement: " The uglier and weirder it looks at the beginning, the better results you will have at the end…" I am trying to remember this all the time when playing with Blender… because 2/3rds of the time… my work just looks horrible to me… Looks like good base mesh, now refine it.

1 Like

sweet dreams are made of ruins

Pure. (except for the free fonts and these texts for the stones)

8 Likes

I deciphered the big letters and then see the translation under it. :smiley:

1 Like

Year 4? or year 2222?

1 Like

“Alea Iacta Est”

non-competing (pure), Cycles (512 adaptive samples), Blender 2.93.5

14 Likes

alea iacta est

looks great!

2 Likes

One of the best compositions and most cinematic I’ve seen from you, fantastic work this week, Helge!

1 Like

Not a criticism, just something that might help in the future. For the figures I use in these competitions these days I use a stick figure of verts with the skin modifier and subdivied modifer. The skin modifer comes with a feature to create an armature. So, I pose my stick figure as required, apply the modifiers and start sculpting.

2 Likes

Good hint. But it needs a remesh too?

Who knows :thinking:

PURE entry “fallen empire”

Blender says 12h of rendering to get good quality so I rendered it with only 80s. I hope ruins are still visible enough.

10 Likes

The Duelists

The Duelists (2015 Remaster) - YouTube :wink:

I was going to add more spectators and clouds, but something about this version spoke to me. Open entry, 1000 samples. Everything except for the forum was taken from previous entries.

4 Likes

Nice, i just missed a lizard. :slight_smile:

The Roman Pantheon.

Pure. The crows and crowd are assets from Ian Hubert. I modeled everything else in the scene for the competition (including the hotdog stand :smiley: ). Everything was done in Blender.

11 Likes

Title " Veni vidi…"

Pure

11 Likes

Yes I remesh as I sculpt.

Brilliant i like the choice of colors! This is real story talling amazing🤣

1 Like