Challenge #960 "Dark, cold winter (stay warm)" (12/11/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #960 for Friday 12th of November 2021 is:

Dark, cold winter (stay warm)

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Nov 15, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Cold At Night

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

The Eskimo in my refrigerator
Pure, cycles 512 samples, opendenoiser, rendertime ~20min., all made in blender, just use vertics paint to bring a bit color on the Eskimo, first i wanted an ice cave with an ice witch on an throne, but the cave turns so ugly i had the idea of putting the ice in an refrigerator :slight_smile: and add an Eskimo to it. Like the story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Indian_in_the_Cupboard_(film)

Wanted to add an fish near the hook, but the refraction shatters it into pieces. And without the ice looks boring. Maybe i get an idea to slove this.

Want to know what happens if you close the refrigerator?

The sky node is so overpowered :D, it just missing a texture attach option for example to attach a moon texture.

16 Likes

nice ice eh :smiley:

Its cold out there

Non-competing - Pure-ish

Cycles X, 4096 samples, filmic, quick effects fire and cloth physics. A

ll new geometry with the exception of snow scene image and my art on the wall. Best way to enjoy a dark cold winter is with a hot cup of coffee and a roaring fire, wrapped up in your favorite blanky. Of course with a small splash of a Irish cream liqueur in the coffee.

9 Likes

Thanks, but its very simple, at first for the cave idea i wanted a snow layer on it, but i cant figure out to make this little snow sparks, so ended up with two layers of ice.

Here is the file before i have to turn the metaballs to a mesh to drill the fish hole for the Eskimo, so sad that metaballs dont have modifiers.
ice_cave5.blend (186.2 KB)

Is there a ‘negative’ metaball setting where it would push instead of attract. That could make a hole.

Shadow Winter
Open. It is all Blender except the Saturn image background from NASA.

The researchers of the Tethys Observation Facility call the time this moon is in the shadow of Saturn ‘Shadow Winter’.

Details

Cycles. B2.92.

There are two a.n.t. landscapes. A sun light is placed near the Sun in the background image and pointed at the landscape. A point light is also near the Sun to make it brighter. The background image plane casts no shadow by turning that off with Object Properties → Visibility → Ray Visibility. The landscape materials are all procedural. Some sub-surface scattering helps give the impression of ice.

updated Nov 14 changed terrain material to be more icy

Credit: The background mage is from NASA.

10 Likes

"Winter Bridge"

non competing (pure), Cycles (256 samples + denoising), Blender 3.0 Beta

8 Likes

Blizzard

Pure entry 1000 samples

Dark Cold Winter.blend (3.0 MB)

2 Likes

Wow - what a funny idea :slight_smile:

How did you made the refrations in the ice so that it looks so “broken”?

“Safe from the cold”
Pure, Cycles

11 Likes

Yes, it exists and i tried. But i then i have to set the meta resolution a lot higher and it would have no bevel.

Nice, there is a space capsule :slight_smile:

Mainly voronoi into bump, the blend file with the material is some post above.

1 Like

Thanks Rigoletto. The spacecraft is in the background artwork from NASA. I considered editing it from the image but it works for the picture so I left it. Updated the picture with icier terrain material.

There’s always the Southern Hemisphere…

Open (non-competing): Cycles render using some simple model/material assets I made while doing a course long ago… Some extra sculpting on the beach and bucket/spade is new. Uses Blender’s default sunset.exr for the HDRI.

3 Likes

title: “Grandpa Frost”

Pure, 750 Adaptive samples, Cycles, Optix Denoiser, one glass texture downloaded from Blender kit,

1 Like

cold cave

Open with gimp

7 Likes

Abstract ice world.

Open - Color correction with Gimp.

2 Likes

Ice Fishing

Pure

The idea for this one came to me instantaneously, which made working on this quite an enjoyable experience. In Challenge 833, I had attempted a similar cross section between ice and water in an animation. I wasn’t happy with how that one turned out, so I’m glad that this challenge’s topic fit into an old idea, so I could give the ice cross section another go.

Very happy with this one.

6 Likes