Challenge #966 "In the Sky" (24/12/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #966 for Friday 24th of December 2021 is:

In the Sky

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Dec 27, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Floating

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hm, head above the sky, maybe :smiley:

2 Likes

Clouds

Pure entry

1 Like

Squirrel in the Sky

Every day around midnight, the Bat-Squirrel slipped into his costume to fight the crime in his forest …

Except for the moon texture, everything is pure.

8 Likes

Castle in the sky
Pure, cycles 2048, opendenoised, ~30 min., all made in blender, just the texture for the flag is made in gimp, flag symbol is ripped from an anime

added a sailing ship

Previous

(best viewed fullscreen)

wolkenburg11.blend (4.1 MB)

7 Likes

In the sky

Pure - Blender - Cycles

3 Likes

Hello, OPEN entry “learning to fly”
Cycles 240s. Open because i have reused ground/grass from old work. As always very detailed models and textures almost invisible due to camera placement and silly cartoon like lightning setup XD
There is a man in balloon looking for obstacles through binoculars.

7 Likes

Suzanne in the Sky with Sapphires

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

I tried at first to use the smoke simulator to make the clouds, but that didn’t work out well despite several hours trying. Can’t say geometry nodes gave much better results, but I’ll call it a day now.

3 Likes

"Wheel in the Sky"

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + denoising), Blender 3.0

8 Likes

Nice render.
I like it that you dont spot Suzanne at the first, with out “Suzanne” in the title it would take longer. Maybe rename the title to hide Suzanne more.

Maybe try this, i used it for my cloud:

2 Likes

Sky Port

Non-competing. Cycles render, postpro in Gimp, cloud background from Unsplash.

Experimenting with Workbench render which processed through edge detection, noise, and blur filters to achieve quick and easy grime effects on edges, then combined with the Cycles one.

Clay render :

9 Likes

"Kissing the clouds"
Open entry

6 Likes

Pure

I was hoping to work on the lighting and detail level of the foreground, but time is running out and I haven’t submitted anything for a while so I wanted to get something in this time! The main concept works even in an unfinished image - I wanted the left of the image to look like a normal landscape but the right reveals the ground curving up into the sky because we’re in a cylinder.

Inspired by this amazing piece by Rui Huang.

8 Likes

Title: Gift from the sky
Pure entry

4 Likes

Outpost

Pure - Cycles render - using sunset.exr that comes with Bleder. Most of the time went into the stonework and chain GNs. Also totally ran out of time. :cry:

2 Likes

Let’s gather some votes. The sky is the limit:

Thanks! I tried using the “Mesh to Volume” node from geometry nodes, but on 2.93 GN is still a bit buggy, so I gave up on this route after a while.

I ended up using point instances with a sphere, which then unfortunately made the displacement node behave in a bad way.