Challenge #969 "watches, clocks and devices that tell time" (14/01/22) Entries CLOSED

PURE “surreal time dilation”. I have unified Einstein’s relativity and Dali’s surrealism :grin:

6 Likes

The Watchmaker
Pure, cycles 4096 samples, rendertime ~7 min., all made in blender, my first version was boring so i deleted the left gears and added the old guy with the lens glasses.

9 Likes

‘Combined’

Pure Entry, I modeled everything in the last couple days. its a clocktower, sundial, watch and hourglass all working together. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to make all of the times match up.

2 Likes

Water timer
Represents a basic early time-measuring device

Open entry (I think?), most materials (excluding grass and water) are modified blendkit materials, but the rest of assets didn’t exist this Friday.

4 Likes

Broken Hourglass

Pure, Cycles - I used free textures for the curtains, cloth on the box, floor, skull, moon, and window board. All objects are freshly made from scratch. The skull and crow are sculpted.
The chamber represents a person’s life: The rose for birth, the skull for death, the hourglass for the lifespan in-between. The hourglass is broken (premature death or severe injury). The swords stand for the struggles we face in life. The mandolin stands for the hard partying we all like so much.
… and the ominous crow in the window … well, crows always hang out in mysterious places … that’s why. :smile:

5 Likes

The Sun

Pure. Cycles. Composited. Simple scene with arrayed cubes, displacement, procedural textures, basic GN grass and Nishita sky.

All efforts to make sense of time (a day, seasons, a year) ultimately relates back to our planet’s orientation to the sun.

8 Likes

“Time Machine”

Pure
Blender 3.0, Cycles (1024 samples)

7 Likes

3:11 AM: Do you know where your banker is?

Pure, except for the hat

8 Likes

If you don’t mind, I’ll add the image to the ‘open’ category. After all, the chess pieces are an important foreground part of the scene. :slight_smile:

Nice to have you on board! Like above, I’d like to add this to the open category as the characters are the focal point of the scene. I guess, that would be fair for everybody.

Thanks for the heads up but ik doesn’t let me edit the post so how do I do that?

There should be a “edit this post” button below your original entry. But don’t worry, I’ll manually edit the voting anyways - so you don’t have to do anything. I’ll just change it when compiling the voting tonight.

Oke cool thanks :+1:

The Time Void

Pure. Made mostly using geometry nodes.

3 Likes

Come on guys, time is ticking !
Even the timekeepers themselves cannot escape from time.

Pure

2 Likes

Immemorial
Pure. Everything is custom other than the sand texture which is from Polyhaven.

I originally made an animation but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t count as a Jpeg so here is the inferior version. Also, this scene nearly killed my laptop, but I have no clue why. The viewport performance was actually great, even in cycles, but when I tried to do certain things, like adding or deleting objects or modifiers, I’d get a 20 sec freeze. Every time. I hope you like it more than my computer did, cause I’m sick with this project. Like, literally I got Covid during it so that kinda took some of my energy away. It was still pretty fun though and I wouldn’t mind feedback. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Vintage kitchen wall clocks from the 1950s and 1960s

My wife has been collecting these old, original kitchen clocks from the 50s/60s for many years. Many of them actually hang in our kitchen :slight_smile: They all have these great pastel colors that were so modern back then. Many have built-in egg timers and barometers. Smartwatch from the past :wink:

Unfortunately I only had time for the challenge last night and today so that many of the great watches and ideas didn’t make it into the picture in the end. Ironically, I ran out of time :slight_smile:

All clocks, the room and the materials as well as the light setting were built for the challenge. But the curtain and the plant are from BlenderKit - that’s why I declare it open.

6 Likes

I was wondering how you and also others in this competition made the clock-faces.
Did you draw them or construct them with the Array-Modifier or something like that? Either way, pretty
cool picture :wink:

1 Like

With 2 different solutions :slight_smile:

First I simply used a reference image and then placed cubes and numbers/text precisely over it so that it only peeked out very, very slightly and then simply “join” them with the circle (NGON massacre :wink: ).

And later, because I ran out of time, I simply traced and edited the reference image (a photo of one of our own clocks) in Paint and then placed it as a texture uv.

I like the first method more because it’s a 3D solution :slight_smile: but in fact you don’t see any difference between the two methods at this scale.

Edit:

Here is a closeup. The clockface was build with method 1 (with Cubes and circles) and the “clockface” around the egg-timer was made in paint-net

3 Likes

“Day is just a collection of hours.” – Serj Tankian

Well, this one is over. Let’s get some voting done:

1 Like

I was about half way through making a DeLorean for this one when I ran out of time.

4 Likes