Challenge #973 "B-Movie Poster" (11/02/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #973 for Friday 11th of February 2022 is:

B-Movie Poster

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 14, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: B

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, Mad Max comes unexpected

1 Like

Copy of poster of dreadfull movie “Abduction From Outer Space” from the '40.
They say everyone who watched it suffered from insomnia all their life.

Open, Blender 3.0 + post processing in Gimp.

6 Likes

If you want to be highly entertained, watch this 30-minute awesome work of art. Great fun!

4 Likes

Alien

Non-competing (Open-ish)

Blender 3, Cycles, 4096 samples, filmic, volumetric fog, Resolve Studio for smoke compositing (I just couldn’t get the smoke simulation to do what I wanted)

Original poster for comparison

8 Likes

A beautiful picture, great copy of the original.

But it hurts a bit when someone calls “Alien” a B-movie :wink: :innocent:

6 Likes

I would do a poster for Gas Pump Girls but no time so would be almost all resources I didn’t model and probably get the challenge thread blurred ??? as would nearly any B-Movie poster. Also considered Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death poster.

Inspired by OLG’s Alien poster I might do derelict buildings with eerie Alien green light captioned “In Detroit no one cares if you scream”.

You can also design your own imaginary b-movie poster… This is what I do :slight_smile:

did i miss the mark? arent b posters considered posters from the hollywood golden rea, hence several years old

hold up someone linked a wiki, yee my bad, got a bit scared for a moment with the alien poster

Often they are low-budget movies. Movies that can’t be taken too seriously but are still fun to watch, like Sharknado, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, Sandsharks, The Blob, Zombeavers, and such… also probably Blair Witch Project.

1 Like

I was also shocked it was listed as a B-movie. It is one of my favorites. I looked it up and it was a relatively low budget movie for its time. Still an amazing movie.

ahh, im doing a 60s style king kong poster without refference :stuck_out_tongue: so hoping i hit the mark.

bottom half is just blocked, and i just wrote some stuff now to have some text on it, its all being redone though.

2 Likes

Yes, giant beasts are a major stylistic device in b movies I think :wink:

oh my i just realized something, if noone takes advantage of this twist image then i’ll be very sad :joy:

1 Like

I think of B movies as mediocre or bad in all aspects except entertainment. Not intended to be art they appeal to simple emotions or drives. Maybe the “B” genre is an art style itself? They are fun and entertaining and don’t seem intended to be anything else.

Alien may be low budget but I certainly don’t think it is a B movie. It is high quality in all aspects. Just being a monster movie doesn’t make it a B movie.

A low budget film, even a student film, can be cinematic art:
https://vimeo.com/57794321

https://vimeo.com/139718295

I guess the definition of B-Movies is hard to cut cause it changes with time. Star Wars from the 70s also has only a budget of ~11 Million dollars.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Wars#tab=summary

1 Like

I did not expect to find Snowpiercer (the movie) in the list of b-movies since the special effects are very well done. I guess b-movies are movies that don’t get massive amounts of promotion.

The official Merriam Webster definition: B movie : a cheaply produced motion picture.

Alien was around 11 million and took 3 1/2 months to film. So cheap and fast but also really good in hindsight. Initially the reviews were mixed.

I am trying to remember if I saw it at the drive in as a teenager. I don’t remember its been too long and too many alcohol murdered brain cells.

I have not seen Snowpiercer, so might have to have a gander.

1 Like

The fourth target

Non-competing

This is a slight modification of a book cover I made for a competition a few years ago.

5 Likes