Chamfer edge's in Blender

Hi people,

I am an absolute beginner at blender and subdividion modelling.
I have a question. How do I chamfer selected edges?
I’ve searched the manuals and there is the bevel command, but this does not allow me to subdivide inside selected faces/edges/vertices. I want to add more detail to a mesh i’m making. Details like doors, hoods in a car.

Hope my startpost is adequate as this is my first post ever on this forum :slight_smile:

p.s.
tutorial with desired effect:
http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/tut3D/tut3d.htm (3dsmax tutorial)

Greets Commodus

Well Blender doesn’t have the best ‘chamfer’ system, but you can select a face and press [e] for extrude, then scale the face inwards slightly and finally push it out slightly. The problem with this is that if you have uneven sides you’ll get some edges that move in more than others, so some tweaking may be necessary.

btw, Welcome to Elysiun.

If you want to subdivide one face into several (i.e. create more vertices), select the vertices and press W -> Subdivide.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If i would extract a face this way, wouldn’t i get overlapping faces? sice an extrude is copy of face? or doesn’t it work like that?
select face, extrude/region, esc, scale gives me somewhat the desired result.

There is hope :slight_smile:

Commodus

I also see an function ‘face loop cut’. But ut cannot scope it’s operations to selected faces? It it either the whole loop or nothing at all am i right? or am i doing something wrong

the samples in the manual only show complete loop manipulation

Greets Commodus

Yeah that’s right, you could use “knife cut” instead if you want, but you’d most likely have to remove the extra triangles that are created if the cut finishes on another edge.

for loop cut, select what you want cut, hide everything else and cut. It won’t cut hidden faces.
or you could do knife cut, which only cuts selected faces, and is not topology dependant.
Either way, you’ll probably have tris to clean up after.

Thanks, it is all worth a shot :slight_smile:

Mayby i can post up a process later in the proces area

Commodus

[edit:typo]

There’s a script called bevel center that comes with 2.36 you can use to chamfer edges with.

Wow, Kansas! That’s the most useful bit of info I’ve ever heard from you. I just tried it for cutting out a door and it worked great.
Thanks!

Indeed! thanks for noticing that great python script :slight_smile:

Wow, Kansas! That’s the most useful bit of info I’ve ever heard from you. I just tried it for cutting out a door and it worked great.
Thanks![/quote]
I was just surprised no one mentioned it yet when it was obviously there.