Change resolution during the compositing step

Is there a way to do the 3d render at 3840x2160 and resize it down to 1920x1080 in the compositing step, and save a full HD image? It seems that the output size is the same for render and compositing.

I’d like to avoid having an extra compositing step to adjust grain size and resize all my images in another blend file.

Thanks

You can generally get satisfactory results if you “sample down, but not up.” Also, do not down-sample more than once: always start from the original sources to avoid the [very rapid …] accumulation of noise.

But you also need to be sure that the aspect ratio does not change. (“Letterboxing” looks awful.) Also, don’t attempt to produce something for “analog video” in this way.

From what I remember, scenes are connected to resolution size, so other then what @sundialsvc4 mentioned you could have one scene with the high resolution and another scene with the final output scene. You then just need to use the high-res scenes render in the final output’s compositor. Kind of unwieldy to be true.

1 Like

Above all, you had to make any change twice.
I would render the pictures out normally and then use an external program (e.g. VirtualDub2) to scale and save in the desired video format.

Thanks for the answers.

I need to keep it in Blender because I have to send everything to the client and he wants be able to press Ctrl-F12 and get all the files he needs (4K and FullHD).