Character and clothing animation

I used MakeHuman to generate my character then fixed up all the animations (created from bone heat) and it works quite nicely. I just recently added clothing to the character using shrinkwrap (and applying it to the clothing mesh). It all looks dandy in non-animated mode, but when I tried parenting the clothing to the armature from bone heat it didn’t follow the character mesh correctly at all in animation (went into the model in some areas most of the times).

So my question is this: my clothing is already linked to the character mesh vertices from shrinkwrap (I still have a backup where shrinkwrap has not been applied, nor the clothing mesh parented to the armature), is there a way I can get the vertices from the clothing follow (from their own offset) the vertices to which they are ‘shrinkwrapping’ to in the character mesh?

Remove the vertices of the underlying body. You can’t see them anyway, do you?

Well… Since the vertices of the clothing get only slightly changed from the offset of the character mesh that could work. It would be much nicer if the vertices could just follow the character vertices they are shrinked towards.

The only problem with doing what you’re suggesting is funky deformations, or otherwise unintended distortions which mess up the look of the clothing. All in all I could do weight painting but I reallly just don’t want to have to do that for male and female characters (there was A LOT of modifications to just get the character weight correct).

It would be much nicer if the vertices could just follow the character vertices they are shrinked towards.

Sounds like you want to use cloth simulation. Activate cloth simulation on the clothing, pin the vertices you don’t want to move using cloth pinning and a weighted vertex group, and you’re good to go.

If your only problem is that the body peaks through sometimes, you can always assign most of the body with a Material that has Env set. This makes it invisible to the renderer, so even it pokes through the clothes it won’t render. This is also a good idea even if you’re doing cloth sim like bugman_2000 suggests. If you DO use the cloth sim, make sure you don’t start animating on frame 1 – start out around 100 or so to give the sim a chance to “settle down” before your character starts moving.

The way I am using the animation has to allow me to export to a different format (with all modifiers applied). I am making characters and exporting them to .3ds/.b3d for a program called SpriteForge, which I then use to create 2D images based on a 45deg angle and 8 different angles (8 directions in the game).
I will try these, usually with 3ds I can export the exact state of any object as it is in a single frame, not certain about b3d though (but it supports texturing, 3ds doesn’t?).

If your only problem is that the body peaks through sometimes, you can always assign most of the body with a Material that has Env set. This makes it invisible to the renderer, so even it pokes through the clothes it won’t render.

I could be mistaken here, but my understanding of Env is that it makes everything behind it invisible also. It’s like the Alien’s blood… one drop will eat all the way through to the outer hull, in this case the sky. I would expect that this method you describe would result in sky holes popping through the clothing here and there. If there’s some other way to use Env that I’m missing, by all means let me know.

If I wanted to make something invisible, I’d go with ZTransp and Alpha 0.

bugman_2000: I think you’re right. I’ve used the technique successfully before, and I just pulled Env off the top of my head without Blender running.