Character Animation Tests

thanks freen

think for the next version I will key the hips on every frame to get it looking better
but for now I and re-doing all the Pantin stuff in blender 2.5 (already finished the 2d Pantin stuff - it looks heaps better)
this should be done in the next couple of days (I am working quite hard on the hips so let me know if I getting better or worse)

cheers

Keying on every frame can be a nightmare. I suggest less keys more curve work. Are you familiar with editing curves? I can help explain if need be.

location curves are easy (Euler XYZ) - it’s much easier to get nice ease in/outs using the curves than key framing

But rotation curves are a nightmare (quanternions - WXYZ)
If you could explain that I would be all ears…or eyes.

in the tutorials JAson Ryan keys most things on 1’s during the walk cycles in the polishing stage
I would assume that a lot of other professionals would do the same in a short cycle like this
(but wouldn’t in a longer scene)

Also during his chatter he talks about some people that don’t ever use the curves, and some that only use the curves. So it’s probably a matter on preference. For me I guess it’s a little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column B

From what I’ve seen it certainly is a matter of preference whether to polish on ones. I actually think that it’s an approach that comes from the 2d world, and most of the animators who like to use it also do 2d.

One thing is certain, though; if you are going to go down this path, make sure you have all your key poses perfect, 'cause it will be a nightmare to change anything later.

Me, I work pose to pose, keeping my keys to a minimum, working things like overlap into the poses themselves, and doing my polishing in the splines.

Regarding the hips, a good way to think about it is that the hips rotate towards the leg that is about to take the weight, then sort of hang off it as the weight shifts on to that leg.

So I just finished the next version on Pantin

http://www.vimeo.com/8110304

I redid the 2d walk, run and Jump (I think the jump turned out the best)
and then also updated the walk Run and jump in 3D (all in Blender 2.5)

I was having fun with the walk so it’s now a double bounce which came out ok
I can’t quite get the hips correct but it still looks funny
(I also think the head needs for delay and the arms are nearly right)
oh well I’ll do some more work on him later

crits welcome - in fact encouraged

The animation of jumping doesn’t have a strong enough anticipation pose for Pantin to jump so high. Bring the anticipation pose out more (I mean exaggerate some) and hold it for a couple of frames, still completely still. It will allow the anticipation to hold in the audiences mind to know that he is going to jump.

Hey Waylow,

This is a general question. I have noticed when I animate a character a strip is created in the NLA. The graph editor displays the animation in graph form to adjust the xyz of any bone at a given time - fine tune. All this is cool however I have noticed in the NLA that the strips are in RED with a Freeze symbol on the left. If I click this Freeze symbol the strips become active but the content of the graph editor disappears. I assume I have to re freeze BUT I cannot find where to do this in 2.5. Pressing N gives the right panel but no mention of how to freeze again.

Any ideas?
Aidan

It is probably better to open a new thread with an related question

but if you open the action again (in the action editor) it will appear back in the NLA unfrozen

The Pantin animation shows much more improvements. Any crits would have to deal with the very subtle matters. You know what I mean. The animation is believable and enjoyable.

Hey Waylow I see you are still going strong. I have been busy lately and will be getting back on the ball soon… Nice anime tests…Look forward to seeing more

good start! :slight_smile: keep going!

* BUMP *

What do you know! It was right under my nose. Waylow, here is the site about the wave principle that I was talking about. Hope it could be of some help:

http://www.characteranimator.com/movies/character_td.html

thanks for the link toonje!

you know, I have been to this site before but only looked at his reel
that is a pretty amazing rig

I haven’t given up on these tests I just have been slowed down by other projects at the moment
(I’ve built some rigs and updated Mancandy for 2.5)
I’m also updating Buck and Frankie for 2.5 but so it is still possible to use actions from 2.49
(backward compatibility)

I have nearly finished Frankie 2.5 but I don’t have much time for the next few weeks

So hopefully soon I will get time to start these again

here is another test

I made the rig to practice squash&stretch, timing and spacing, follow through and overlapping action.

you can get the rig from the link too
http://www.vimeo.com/14695375