character animation

Well i want to animate a character that i have made in makehuman :slight_smile:
And i want to animate the character with a skeleton i know on how to create one tough.
But i do them from create from closes bones.
But then some vertices stay behind and some others do move.
Or if i move the right foot a part of the left foot moves with it to :open_mouth:
How can i fix that?
I tought that i have to split up the human into groups and then the bones to.
But i dont know on how to do that.
So can someone please help me?
Thanks for reading.
-tera4d

Very good information: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Rigging
Or you might consider this EXCELLENT book: http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Character-Animation-Blender-Mullen/dp/0470102608

Cheers!

Thank you very much :smiley:
I also created a very simple animation but how do i export an animated 3ds file?
Because i exported him and when i imported him again the keyframes were gone?

I also created a very simple animation but how do i export an animated 3ds file?
Because i exported him and when i imported him again the keyframes were gone?

That one I can’t help you with as I use my animations only in Blender… perhaps someone who uses the .3ds plugin can answer…

Using closest bones is quick and easy, but not perfect. Some verts will be left behind while others that you don’t want associated with a bone, will be associated with it. For a complex model, it can be more trouble than it’s worth. But you may be able to sort out your problem just by selecting verts and either ADDing or REMOVing them from a vertex group.

Also, turn off “envelopes” in the armature modifier palette.

SiriusCG:
I just exported it from blender and imported it into blender.:stuck_out_tongue:

AndyD:
Well what do you recommend for advanced models?
And is this model complex enough?
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1958/troceriahsb7if5.jpg
(The model is mine troceriah is a 3drpg project of me and this is a model for it)

I’m hardly an expert and haven’t rigged a complex model - but I’d suggest trying closest bone and seeing how it works. If it’s 90% good then you can probably fix the remaining 10% with vert groups and weight painting. You’ll have to weight-paint anyway to get the subtle transitions between bone influences. If the closest bone method is only 50-70% accurate then fixing it manually might not be worth the time and effort.

Alternatively, just use weight-paint and manual assignment (vertex groups > ADD) from the start. It can seem daunting but with practice you find ways to speed up the process - using things like face/edge-loop-select (ALT-RMB), select-connected (CTRL-L) and box-select (B-KEY in transparent mode).

I like selecting a bone and painting one vertex to create a vertex group, then going into Edit Mode and using the selection methods above to ADD verts to the group. I might weight-paint after each bone or after a major section (whole arm, whole leg, etc) and then adjust weight-paint at the end. Doing this for every bone takes time but it means you get what YOU want from the start, not what Blender might guess for you.

Also, be sure to check assignments in weight-paint mode by Shift-LMB on an area to see a list of associated bones. This makes clean-up much easier, especially when you’re certain there’s nothing wrong but the mesh keeps misbehaving.

It’s largely a personal preference