Character bleeding

In a relatively disturbing cut scene for a video game I need to have a character cut himself to remove a micro chip. I mentioned this idea to my team, without realizing I had no idea how to do this. I want to keep this pg-13 so I don’t want copious amounts blood gushing that will make people vomit, but I want it to be semi-realistic. This is a game cut scene so graphics do not need to be any better than the game itself (about Portal 1 quality). Like I said I have no clue how to do this, so any help is appreciated.

P.S.
If you saw this in a game how disturbing would you find it? 1 = don’t care, 10 = your grandmother playing GTA V.

Thanks

I take it no one has attempted something like this?

Depends on how much detail you want. You could do it with animated textures if you really don’t need much. You could do a fluid simulation, but that might or might not be overkill. You might even be able to do it with metaball particles. All depends on exactly what look you’re going for, how much work you want to put into it, and whether your game engine would need to support the method you used. If you’re just going to render it out as a video, you can do whatever. If you’re doing realtime integrated cutscenes that aren’t pre-rendered, you’ll need to take the game engine into consideration.

I didnt think about something as simple as animated textures. I think i’ll go for that route as it seems like it should work in the game engine. If I have to I will use pre-rendered footage for some of the cutscenes, but i’d like to avoid it. Thank you very much for your help.

I tried something with using a cast modifier (but a very small one assigned to an empty) to manipulate the skin of a character mesh… similar effect to how the beetle crawls under the guys skin in the movie “the mummy”, might be useful to this scene…