Character bounces frantically on ground when I hit Play

I set up some actions on this robot rig from InfameDavid (Blendswap)

I want to make the robot jump but when it’s a “Character” physics type on a plane, the character bounces around frantically.

I could make the robot Static, but then I can’t make him move forward when jumping.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

I have had and still have problems with using objects as actors, and as for the user of character, blender closes up for me.

Have you tried riggid body for physics?

Yes, I’ve tried switching to Rigid Body, and the character freaks out even more.

If I have everything set to Static, my character can move forward while executing the “walk” Action. The character can also jump because I have a “jump” animation set to an Action. But I can’t make the character move forward and jump forward while moving forward like you can if you have the Physics set to “Character”.

You need to adjust the collision bounds values, and make sure you use the appropriate bounds type (try convex hull if you aren’t currently using it).

Hm that didn’t work.

I’m thinking the issue is I put the sensors and actuators on the CONTROL CURVE… Maybe these should be on the model?

Yes, I believe I had the Simple Motion actuators on the Control curve instead of the mesh!

Did you try it with your character set as a rigid body? Did you try adjusting the bounds margin?

Also, check that your ground plane has collision bounds turned on and set it to convex hull. Also try changing your character’s setting to convex hull.

Things will work properly… you just have to tweak the settings.

I’m thinking the issue is I put the sensors and actuators on the CONTROL CURVE… Maybe these should be on the model?

Could be. If you’re using a curve to get/set the character’s coordinates indirectly, Blender might be getting the wrong coordinates, since they will relate to positions on the curve and not the character’s real position.

I knew I should have read that last post before I responded!