Character Holding object

am using Blender 2.73A

file is too big to send

I have a character I want to hold a flashlight… I selected the flashlight, shift/selected the Bone in the hand he will be holding it… I did ctrl+p and selected “Bone”

it isn’t working… I have done this before and it worked… , so not sure why this one is not working … I want the character to hold the flashlight and when he gets up and walks across the scene, he is carrying the flashlight with him…

thanks.
am going back to working on it trying to get it to work… appreciate any suggestions as to how to make him hold it so it moves with him when he walks…

Barbara
have a good day

Okay… never mind… went back to working on it and finally got it to work… had to close out the file again and reopen it and do my steps again and this time, it worked. now am animating the character walking with the object and it seems to be working okay…

have a great day and thank you so much to all those who help with issues… I’ve used the forum for issues sometimes as I’m learning how to do the animations and everyone has been so helpful and I appreciate all who are helpful… I try to solve my issues as I come across them as I feel this helps to learn and at times will spend hours trying to work out an issue and getting something to work…

Barbara