Character keeps dropping his sword

(dreamsgate) #1

I made a character for a game, got the armature all rigged, modeled sword, parented it to his hand bone, tested the rigging.
It all looked great until I started the game engine at which point he promptly dropped his sword. I haven’t set any realtime options at all yet. I just wanted to see how he looked.

So what did I do wrong? Keep in mind this is my first original game and I’m running around pretty clueless.

(xhyldazhk) #2

I had a similar problem. Try assigning all vertices of the sword to a vertex group with the same name as the right hand vertex group of your character. Then parent the sword not to a single bone, but to the entire armature. That should work around the bug.

(xintoc) #3

the sword has to be assigned to on bone. with vertices…
here’s an example…http://www.hot.ee/xintoc/stick2.blend

arrows to move. mouse for view and leftmouse button to stab…

(dreamsgate) #4

thanks guys!

(Pooba) #5

Yeah, parenting to bones doesn’t work in gameblender.

Pooba

(dreamsgate) #6

I probably would have known that if my on order game kit book had arrived yet.

(dreamsgate wanders off muttering to herself… patience, it will all be clear in time) :stuck_out_tongue:

(Pooba) #7

It’s preordered, it doesn’t come out until dec. 20th. THen they ship it.

Pooba

(dreamsgate) #8

I know, LOL, I’m just an impatient sort. I’m not complaining, just waiting!

(SHABA1) #9

Everytime I download this and try to run it blender says “stick2.blend is not a blender file”

(Pooba) #10

Works for me!

(gorgan_almi) #11

what version of blender are you using SHABA1?

(SHABA1) #12

Windows blender 2.23
Windows Me
Celeron 700
64mb SDRAM

(gorgan_almi) #13

download blender publisher 2.25 from blender.org and install the key file (key.dat) in the downloads section, then try loading the blend again.

Keith. 8)