Character showcase, all good?

Here’s my latest sculpt (done in Zbrush so I don’t want any critic on the model itself). Based on a concept made by I-dont-know-who :man_shrugging:

What do you think of it, does the lighting looks good (colours used, positions, brightness, ect…) ?
And what about the material I’ve used ?

Sculpt : Zbrush
Texturing, Shading, Lighting, Rendering : Blender
Post production : Affinity Photo (Dust / glow / color&contrast adjustment / passes)

Final with Post-production :

Raw Render Blender before Post-production :

8 Likes

I think it’s looking solid. However, is it intentional that the texture looks like a marble? If so, you get a spot on. The other thing is probably the black background. It looks kind of too black, and it makes it look unnatural. How did you get a jet black background like that? We’d normally see some shade from the lighting on the background.

Thank you for your reply
I was more going for a kind of smooth concrete/limestone texture, I wasn’t thinking it could look like marble…

For the black background, (not sure if you talk about the render after or before going into post-production) I enabled the “transparent background”, which make it transparent, so it appears black by default if you don’t save the image in a png format.

Well, the marble sculptures we’d see in galleries usually have been smoothed out so they’re so sleek. But before they’re smoothed out, they look quite similar to concrete and limestone sculptures.

I don’t think you should enable the transparent background though, because such void black looks too digital, and is kind of killing the realism of your sculpture. Instead of doing that, build a real grey (you can go down to like .05 in Value slider, but don’t make it completely 0) backdrop in Blender with a bit of noise texture to it and Roughness set to 1, and it’ll look much better.

1 Like

Ok, I give it another shot :

1 Like

See, it looks instantly better!

1 Like