Character: Smiling Monster

Hey there, it’s been a while since I’ve done any 3d modeling, years even! But I’m jumping back into it, and I’m really loving all the new mesh editing tools blender has now, as well as some of the amazing improvements. I remember back in the day when in order to make something reflective you had to use env maps, and editing meshes was incredibly tedious since their was no knife tool. So, I give much kudos too the whole development team who have really made blender incredible!

But anyways, I’ve decided to start modeling this monster, who I want to be charming, yet also kindof creepy. Here’s what I got so far.

here’s a rotating animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpgjK0TvsY

Attachments

Hey, I like him, and in spite of the exaggerated features, he still manages not to look anatomically incorrect. Jeez, I wish I could do that. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m crap at organic modeling.

Anyway, a bit of the topology looks weird, but I’m not sure if I’m right or not. I’ll leave it to the experts.

looking great! no crits at this time, shape and topology look good, wonderful to see you’ve still got the hang of it after so long too =)

keep us posted. =D

Lee

Thanks guys, I’m pretty surprised I’ve still got the hang of it after so long too. But while I wasn’t doing 2d, I was becoming a better sketch artist. What is surprising though is that, with the new features and whatnot, I was able to just start playing around and figure stuff out without much trouble. Shows how intuitive blender is. But I agree with Black Boe, some of the topology is off a bit, it’s mainly the mouth area that concerns me, and I fear that I might run into some troubles when I start animating. Speaking of animating, anyone have any good tips or tutorials on animating a face, because I’ve never done it, and don’t know what the best way to do it is.

really good .) looking forward seeing the results .)

Just for some good practice to get me back into the game, I’ve started remodeling the face, get better topology, and I’ve been taking screenshots every step of the way, so I can assemble a tutorial.

Rocktastic. I want to see this tutorial when it’s completed.

looks like the gremlin from spiderman. nice.

awesome mayn…add some hair and it will look like an evil clown:eek: .Really u should conisder making it a clown…great work anywayz…i hope the tutorial will be finished before christamas(that will be my present from the community:D )

Hah, he’s actually going to be bald, and his body is like this insect thing with faces on his stomach. So sorry man, no clown, however, I did just make an animated gif showing how to make a rough version of the monster, I decided I’m going to use my original model though, but the gif is pretty good, only thing is, it’s 10 megs, there’s like 100 frames with 256 colors at 640x400, yet, that’s the smallest size I could get it, and I don’t know any where I can put a 10 meg gif. I’m working on putting together a video and uploading it to youtube though.

Wow, I really like your monster, he’s got a lot of personality, just by looking at his expression you can tell how evil he is (or how evil he thinks he is). Great job, keep it up!

Here’s an update render with eyes, far from perfect, but I’m working on it.

Attachments

Ok, I got a video tutorial on youtube!

That. Is awesome. That’s cool seeing how you affect certain topology loops and what your process is and everything, cause I–as a rule–am horribly unprofessional, and I need to learn this stuff. Anyway, cool.

The eyes look a little out of place, for some reason, but that might just be me.

this guy has a real charakter (it’s not just a monster)
your videotut is cool and effektive

I’m glad my video was helpful. Now I have to model the ears, I hate ears, but then I can start playing around with him, texturing, animating, whatnot. Now I want him to have these cuts in his lips, do you think I should model the cuts or should I normal map them?

If you’re going for a high-res bump/colour/spec/etc. mapping job, then you could probably just normal map the cuts in, yeah.

I think I agree with ya Black Boe, the cuts shouldn’t be that deep, and there’s alot of them, so I think normal maps and a good texture would work well, however, I don’t really know how to do much besides modeling unfortunatly. But I’m going to do some experimenting to get this guy textured and animating, or else, it’s just no fun! Anyways, I decided to make a rotating animation of him just for kicks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpgjK0TvsY