Characters: Seahorses

These seahorses are the main characters in a larger project that I am working on. This render is the first time I’ve had them in the same room together :D. I thought it looked nice so I decided to share. Comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated as I can apply them to the rest of my project, however I won’t be rerendering this piece.

edit: ok, so I lied. I grew to hate those old bubbles so I rerendered it after all. Looks better?

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~sketch/blender/seahorsewp.jpg

Also, by way of introduction: I’ve been lurking around here for about a year or so, but this is my first serious post. This seems like a great community and I hope you all enjoy my work as much as I’ve enjoyed yours!

That is absolutely beautiful! Fantastic texture work and colours.

Please keep us updated with more details of this ‘larger project’

Blend on!

Mantis.

Very nice indeed :slight_smile:

Great! but I think the bubbles have to much frensel

Excellent characters and superb texturing, Jason.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

RobertT

Fantastic stuff. The colours and especially the textures are fantastic.

BgDM

What more i can say.

3DMantis, Kansas_15, Robertt, BgDM, Poju: Thank you for your kind words.

Jedi Dawn: I agree about the fresnel. Next time I make bubbles I’ll have to spend a little more time making sure I get the material right. Thanks for the suggestion

All that has been said above, but I do have a comment :slight_smile:
Maybe it’s just this composition (the two yellow parts next to each other), but the color blending between blue and yellow is very distracting to my eyes. It might be the pattern how they blend, or as I said maybe it’s only because there is another yellow line right next to it, which pulls my eyes, I don’t know, but in this particular scene it is distracting.

That is a fantastic render. The colors and the modeling are just right.

what i like in 3D is details and simplicity. You did get them together. It’s nice.

Not much else to say. It’s just fantastic.

I have to say I really love this picture.
This is straight out of a “future” animation I hope. :smiley:

Caleb

Great texture!

The picture is beautiful!

I really like the seahorses, but the bubbles need lighter edges.

Reminds me of the new animated feature (with seahorses and sharks) by Dreamworks.

I like the models and love the textures. Good work.

Ok, the bubbles were bad enough that I decided to go ahead and post a rerender.

Thanks all for the compliments.

Erufailon: I’m not seeing what you are seeing. Probably because I’ve been looking at these textures so long that my mind has begun to filter out problems. In comparison with the purple seahorse, the blue seahorses transition to yellow is simpler and softer. Perhaps this is why it is not as easy on the eyes?

Caleb72: I will be doing an animation, but this is not a scene from it. This was mostly just a test to see how the two characters looked together on screen.

Samjh: Pixar made a movie about fish so everyone else had to follow suit :smiley:

All I can say is very Pixar, and I mean that in a good way, fantastic bright colours and great detail, I feel you will go far :smiley: .

Ken

very well textured - I think that the shader of the seahorse and the lighting can be improved, but still very nice charecters.

First of all I love the models and the texture is fabulous! But in my opinion the little wings would be a lot prettyer if they were a bit transparent.

Sander