Chatting in Blender

It’d be nice if it automatically connected to the Blender channel when you opened it so you could ask a quick question.

or does it already?

… personaly i think its a very unneeded featrure…
Yea?! For you is probably e-mail also unneeded & irc & whole text world…

C’mon, this is great!! Thank you jesterKing!!!

I’ll post beta-binaries when the text component obeys my wishes a bit better :slight_smile: (Like being able to scroll would be nice - since currently a text that is longer than the screen will be… unreadable :] )

/Nathan

@popski

i barely use the text world except for email and my websites
since voip was invented text kinda became absolete to me, i just use it for forums and such

and plus i cant image switching beetween my work and the IRC window to see whats going on with the text flying at 100 mph down the screen

i can understand that some people dislike such a feature because it has nothing to do with plain 3D rendering,

but hey lets see how it goes :slight_smile: i would like to see it

… i barely use the text …
Yea, and you don’t use shoes since are bicycles invented… :smiley:

Hye guys cmon, I’m only 16 and I feel I act a hell of a lot more mature then some of you… Why can’t people make actual improvements with their posts, rather then, “its stupid, I don’t need it.” Because you know what, No one frankly would care if you don’t like it. If you don’t like it, then all you have to do is click the little X in the corner of the screen, and not waste peoples time by having others who use a feature attempt to defend it, thus taking away from the information at hand. If you don’t like it, kindly shut up, and if you do like it, please don’t defend it with more flames. Ignore them!

If you are to post, try to do so to improve the post… For crying out loud this is starting to become like portalforums.com … and that is a baaaaaaad thing indeed.

/end rant

Not that it isn’t cool, and that it didn’t take intelligence to create, etc etc, but there’s no use in reinventing the wheel. Just use a standalone app for chatting. Now maybe if there was some sort of “network” of blender users that could be acessed seperately from whatever IM program you were thinking…
EDITL now i think about it, there are pros… for example, it’s not going to increase the size of the program (blender) by much, and besides, it can’t hurt, can it?

This is a very neat addition.

Along with the master server, the ability to chat to people on the same Verse server who you are collaborating with would be a great addition. Personally, I don’t think a separate chat program is any substitute.

This will be a fantastic learning and motivational tool - think of all the times you may have opened up Blender not quite sure what to do. Now you’ll be able to browse Verse spaces, chat to people who are actually working in Blender at the time and perhaps even see online modeling tutorials.

Verse has a bright future in Blender.

Koba

EDIT> Urgh. Your site just reminded my of Pynodes. I really wanted them! Nevermind.

Agree!

If we used a separate chat program we’d have to tell the other user(s) to
use the same chat-client as well, not to mention all the times we’d have
to remind them of this.

Now with Verse-Chat - we can instantly connect to “our users” and talk
to them if something goes wrong, or they can instantly talk to us if
they’re having problems with something without having to add us on
their “MSN list” or something.

The built in verse chat function is a “must have” addition to such
a collaboration system where people over great distance can
instantly collaborate on a project. Very cool indeed!

koba that is a great idea like each worker has a chat room for wwant of a better word that they are working in and can chose whether they have jsut spectators and talking or people that can work on the project at the same time like in a open white board where anyone can draw on the bord and everyone sees it or mayby have teh window spilit so you can see someone else working while yourworking on the same blender screen but is not directly effecting your work

I think it’s a great idea to integrate IM in Blender.If people could use blender to share or transform their models ,more funs will come.

I have just had a very cool idea of things to come.

Speed Modeling Contests on Verse. :slight_smile:

Think about it!

People could watch the two contestants model in real time in the same space!

It would be instructive if nothing else. The point about chat is it is that Verse is no fun without the ability to communicate.

Koba

This is such an incredible idea! Unfortunately, from the images I was having a hard time seeing exactly what the userface looked like, but if it’s not so already, maybe it would be a good idea to include the Blender Chat as another option when you split your window… For instance, you could split the screen and then chat in one part with your mentor or something while modeling in the other. If this is what it was in the picture, I’m very sorry. I just couldn’t tell.

It’s a great idea, I can’t wait to see more! :slight_smile:

Sweet, what this needs is something like channels and a lobby so we could make one for blenderartists :slight_smile:

A user(well he’s admin there) at the german blender forum developed a script which makes it possible to chat via IRC in blender.
Just to let you know…
Thread: http://blendpolis.de/f/viewtopic.php?t=14669
Script: http://blendpolis.de/f/download.php?id=21413

Agree! for new users that might look under the programs help menu, it could have a link there. :spin:
that would be great. :slight_smile:

This is AWESOME!!

Hope it gets into the official blender version!!

Next we need a bittorrent client and a MAME front end :smiley:

Just joking!

Actually this would be nice for a class I am going to be teaching. If the kids get stuck they can call for help, or ask simple questions easier.

For the game engine too! multiplayer, and virtual communities need nice chat stuff :smiley:

wow!

we could have it as a “Live help” feature in blender!!

Rather than explaining the ins and outs of an IRC application, just have a script link in the Blender help section, that connects them to #blenderchat and #blender with one simple click.

Maya, 3Ds, Zbrush and MODO do not have that feature!!!
They can come and copy us for a change :smiley:

Jesterking! you rock!

Innovatiob is what makes FOSS so exciting! This would a great idea.

We build a bare bones linux, and add networking, web browsing, im/irc/voip, a blenderized version of gimp,and of course, blender plus a whole bunch of blender scripts, tutorials (for newbies), models, textures, and etc. I doubt it would even come close to 300 MB aand you would have professional blender operating system specifically for graphics work. We could call it blendix! Hmm… I might be able to put my skills to use for once…