Child Bones are not Inheriting the Location, Rotation, or Scale of their Parent Bones

I’ve been following Nathan Vegdahl’s Humane Rigging tutorial (one recommended by the Blender docs), and I’ve seen that when he parents one bone to another, the child bone inherits the parent’s location, rotation, and scale.

However, I am using Blender 2.79b, and the behavior I observe does not seem to mirror this. If I parent one bone to another, selecting “Keep Offset”, then proceed to alter the parent’s location, rotation, or scale, the child bone remains unchanged.
I have checked the Relations panel of the child bone. Inherit Location, Inherit Rotation, and Inherit Scale are all checked.

Is this expected behavior in the version I am using? If so, is there any way to have parenting behave as it does in Vegdahl’s tutorial so I can continue following along?

Note: I should mention that most parented objects do behave as expected. It is only parented bones which fail to inherit their parent’s location, rotation, and scale.

Are you adjusting the parent bone in edit mode? Try in pose mode.

In pose mode, it works just fine.
But I was under the impression, from Vegdahl’s tutorial, that it should also work in edit mode?
Am I wrong in this thinking?

No it wont - this is deliberate… it allows you to august the bones in a complex rig after the fact (up to a point)

Ah, I see. Thank you, your help is much appreciated!

I can’t exactly remember which video it is but I think it’s the one where he builds the ball rig using an armature(most probably the third or fourth video in chapter one). In that video he goes over the why you can move the child and parent bones independently of each other in edit mode.

For bones child-parent relationship only take effect in pose mode, in edit mode you are building the rest position of the bones.

1 Like

You’re right.
I’ve continued the tutorial and this kind of workflow has become more clear. I must’ve not been paying close enough attention to his videos.