Choosing Codecs and render settings in Blender Publisher

(pamtango) #1

:o What would work best with video shot with a camera and a Blender render. AVI Codec w/Cinipak or Intel or whatever,
or AVI JPG,
and should I use fields
and if so with what settings, dd or x, or neither or both?

Thanks,
PamTango :wink:

(Dittohead) #2

The DivX Codec

makes movies small

(Grizzly69) #3

Your talking about the finished product, right? If so, then I agree with Dittohead, DivX is the way to go.

(Dittohead) #4

don’t use fields unless your movie is going to be used on tv or video.

(pamtango) #5

This will eventually be viewed on television, perhaps only as part of an in-house documentary. It will however be edited, most likely in the Final Cut Pro program.
By small, I’m assuming my respondents mean file size.
Thanks,

(Grizzly69) #6

I wouldn’t do DivX then. If you were going to post this on the internet then DivX is the way. But for video or TV then I would think mpg or mpg2. It depends on how you were going to show it on TV.

What format is it in right now? If you are using Final Cut Pro then leave it in the format you captured it.

How much space do you have to work with? I would render Blender stuff to AVI raw and leave the camera footage in the format you captured it. If you are a little tight on space then look into what codecs Final Cut pro will accept and use one of those (anything but Cinepak).

(Dittohead) #7

Don’t use fields though, the folks using Final cut pro will render the final result with fields.

(kattkieru) #8

Don’t compress your video if you’re going into editing. Compression desaturates color and creates a loss in quality. You’ll want to use full, raw AVI files if going into Final Cut Pro, and only once you’ve finished editing should you compress it into a more managable file format.

This is why firewire hard drives for Macs are so cheap these days – nobody edits video off their own hard drive. Even Trent Reznor, when editing footage for the And All That Could Have Been… DVD used a firewire array of drives.

If you compress beforehand, you’re likely to see the effects in your finished product, especially if you’re showing it on TV.

(Koryo) #9

I could be mistaken, but if you intend to output the final version to PAL or
NTSC interlaced video, you definitely want to render with fields in Blender.
This is especially important if this is an animation, otherwise you will have a
1/50 or 1/60 second sync problems with one set on fields.

Of couse, if your company has very nice televisions that all support
progressive frames and can burn the final product on a DVD as a progressive
MPEG-2, then render without fields.

Also, kattkieru is correct: never compress until the final output unless using a
lossless compression algorithm. As a side
note, you do not want to output an DVD MPEG-2 then create a VCD MPEG-1
from the MPEG-2 if possible. All copies should be made from the original
when possible. You should look at Cleaner if you are interested in outputing
multiple quality versions from an original source. Final Cut Pro may
support this as well.

(rwenzlaff) #10

He’s right. The two fields will be displayed 1/60th (or 1/50th) of a second apart. You need to led Blender render that 1/60th of a second of motion…

Bob
www.soylent-green.com