Christchurch Blenderthon

(rpgsimmaster) #1

Hey all Blenderheads,

ddwagnz and I have put our heads together and decided that it would be a good idea to hold a Blender LAN meet somewhere in Christchurch, New Zealand for all Blenderheads young and old.

Does that sound interesting? We sure think so - but we want to know whether you’re interested, what you would be interested in doing, and so on.

If we raise enough interest, then we WILL organise a Blenderthon to happen sometime during the Term 2 School Holidays.

So reply with ideas, comments, suggestions.

We want you to come!

Edit:
If you want a sort of basic outline to show what we could do, here’s a short list:

• All the Blenderheads arrive, set up their computers and connect them to the network which will be running, then talk to one another.
  • Everyone does a couple of preorganised Speed Contests, including Speed Modelling, Speed Animation, etc.
  • We all trade files such as models, materials, render clients, additional modeling programs, etc.
  • We split into teams and work on speed contests in teams, using Verse or some other network program.
  • We all have a BBQ or shared lunch of some sort
  • We discuss various techniques for doing stuff, for example a few quick practical tuts on modelling human faces, or something (preorganised)

At this point, until we gain interest, we’re not sure where it would be held

0 Likes

(ddwagnz) #2

If you have questions regrading the meet please contact myself and rpgsimmaster via pm!
Christchurch Users Unite!
ddwagnz

0 Likes

(Jeepster) #3

sounds fun…i’d go if i was in New Zealand…but i’m not :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

(VenomSeven) #4

Sounds interesting to me but I don’t live in New Zealand. If I did, I would be willing to go, despite my religious beliefs.

0 Likes

(Cuby) #5

Yeah, I’d be interested. What exactly do you mean by a Blenderthon?

Cuby

0 Likes

(Popsy) #6

Now THAT sounds good (if it was in the second week of the holidays…). Blender with real people I know by avatar! Awesome!

0 Likes

(Alltaken) #7

I don’t live in chch NZ, don’t even know what the place is, it sounds flat and boring, and sounds like it has a silly stadium in it called jade stadium… silly place

I’d be happy to meet up some time. but not enough time for a blenderthon.

Alltaken

0 Likes

(Jogai) #8

Great, but its the other side of the world…

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #9

Update:

At this point, this is what the event is looking to be like, possibly… It will be declared officially though, if it happens:

• Unless more interest is shown, it will be set up for a maximum of 20 people.
  • All users supply their own computer, and preferably network cable (and spare ones, if any).
  • There may/may not be a charge of 5 dollars per desktop computer or 3 per laptop depending on whether the venue can be gotten for free (maybe just charge non-linux computers, hey?)

Possible Programme:

• Arrive, Set up computers (this will be for a total length of 1.5 hours)
  • Initial introduction, brief on program, how to connect to supplied server, importance of computer/network security for the day, etc.
  • 40 minute SMC to warm up (especially for those new to SMCing)
  • File trading for half an hour - if anyone wants to trade render clients, special builds, textures, etc.
  • 2 hr group competition - Users split into groups of 2/4 (random, maybe based on skills), where each group must create a short animation on a set topic. Dedicated Verse server will be supplied.
  • Some sort of shared lunch/BBQ or something, as entries are judged by randomly selected users (who won’t be allowed to vote for own entry)
  • Workshops (maybe, depends on number of users): pre-selected users will run 30 minute workshops to teach various users different skills, e.g. Python basics, Rigging, Character Modelling, etc.
    -Final wrapup
    -Packup
    This programme is not definite, but a good outline

Other
-There will be a dedicated server with an IRC, HTTP, FTP, SMB and Verse Server running. The network will be designed for Linux and Windows computers, though any Mac can join (that may require the user to learn how to use their SMB Server on the day though)
-All users would be required to use IRC (A java client running on the HTTP Server will be supplied, though)
-Network Switches will (hopefully) be supplied (news on this later, by the official announcement)

Extra Notice
There should be more advertising in community notices on The Radio, such as 94.5 FM (The Breeze), as well as Blendernation, if this all goes ahead. Also, tell your friends if they don’t read Blendernation or BA. I really need replies to know how many people may come, so I can organise an appropriate venue.

0 Likes

(Popsy) #10

What happens if your computer is a desktop one, i.e. one that can’t be moved?

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #11

Fair question:

Alright, if the computer is a desktop, and you aren’t allowed to move it, then see if you can borrow a computer. If not, PM me or drop me a line on #smc on IRC, and I will see what I can do.

0 Likes

(3D-Penguin) #12

What happens if your computer is a desktop one, i.e. one that can’t be moved?

According to my own experience, desktop computers can be moved even downunder. If push does not work try pull, remember you are trying to compensate gravity with your act:D

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #13

Indeed, 3D-Penguin - unless the computer is not owned by you. In that case, if you try a pull, you get a shove.

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #14

At this point, despite my reluctance, I may have to charge people for coming to the BlenderThon to cover venue costs. I want to know whether it would be a good idea to charge per computer (not user), or whether I should have a donation box instead (would people be willing to donate?)

Either way, any surplus would go into an account for future Blenderthons or other Blender-related activities.

Even better would be if anyone could tell me of a venue which might be able to be used for free.

Just reply with opinions, ideas, etc.

0 Likes

(Alltaken) #15

well firstly how many people are you expecting? and how long are you expecting it for…

Small number of people would be at someones house most likely. but if you are expecting lots, then yes you would be looking at a school most likely.

CPIT might have a deal.

Alltaken

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #16

Alltaken:
As stated in the post, we are arranging for 20 people at most - if more try to come, too bad. If there aren’t that many people who turn up, then it will be scaled back next year.

I have set a number of expected people, and a date, to make sure that we don’t bicker and waste time deciding when it’ll be, but to reiterate:

• Middle weekend of NZ School Winter Holidays (next holidays, basically)
  • 20 people maximum (not including event coordinator, special guests (if any), etc.)
  • Venue: Not set, but probably north end of the city, probably in Bishopdale, Burnside, Papanui area, unless more people from the south end of the city let me know you exist and are interested.
  • Advertising: via free community radio advertising (prob on 94.5FM, The Breeze) as well as BlenderNation and a final announcement here. This’ll happen about week 5, right after the seniors mid-year exams.

And again, I know there are a lot of Christchurch Blender users who DON’T frequent Blendernation or Blenderartists, so please let them know. The bigger the turnout, the better next years event could be

0 Likes

(Alltaken) #17

oh ok… so its an advertised event. sorry didn’t get that part, only read half that post :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just curious of how many people you expected from “this” forum. i.e. the minimum number of people.

If its a Big event, then perhaps i will be in. I could potentially run a quick tutorial on integrating design with Blender, if people are interested. (if my Skillzzzz with multiple Zeds are good enough).

it would be nice to get all the poeple going, and compile a “portfolio” of the work accross the group, so that people turning up would have some eye candy. it would also be nice to show elepahnts dream.

I think this is the kind of event that public funding could pay for (if its not just a blender get together, but an advertising event too). lots of grants for this kind of stuff.

Alltaken

0 Likes

(traitor) #18

I’d potentially be in if it’s at a date where I’m back home for Uni holidays (studying in welly)

I’ll be watching, anyway

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #19

Alltaken: Good idea with ED - for those who haven’t seen it…

In terms of being a major event, it’s only 20 people, but if we get a lot of interest (ie far more than 20 people want to show up) next years event will be bigger and better

and in terms of running a quick tutorial, I will be probably looking for people to run a few tuts for the benefit of new an old users alike, though we’ll see.

I still need to find a venue though…

0 Likes

(rpgsimmaster) #20

Alltaken: Good idea with ED - for those who haven’t seen it…

In terms of being a major event, it’s only 20 people, but if we get a lot of interest (ie far more than 20 people want to show up) next year’s event will be bigger and better

and in terms of running a quick tutorial, I will be probably looking for people to run a few tuts for the benefit of new an old users alike, though we’ll see.

I still need to find a venue though…

traitor: It’s in the primary/secondary school holidays - I’m not sure if the middle of those holidays coincide with the start of the tertiary term. But your point did remind me that I SHOULD record the days happenings just for the sake of keeping a record (oh no, now I have to borrow a camera too…)

0 Likes