Christmas Interior Cycles Scene!

Hey everyone, Christmas is almost there, so I taught I’ll upload something!

Please tell me your honest critique!

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=22533

personally the first thing that jumped out at me was the quality of the mouse verses the quality of the rest of the image.

The image is very good,
But I would say the mouse/rat brings it down somewhat, I dont exactly know what it is, I think its the texturing, its not detailed enough maybe?

overall I think its great though
good work! keep it up!
Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

Thank you for your fast reply!

yeah the mouse isn’t that fantastic, I know. I first started off without the mouse, but then the whole scene was soooo boring…
and, as you know if you know Andrew Price, some kind of storytelling, even if it’s only a tiny bit, is always good :smiley:
maybe you already heard about his new competition about Christmas, I’m gonna participate there.

as I said, thank you for you reply
Merry Christmas too!

by the way, does someone have any opinion on the compositing part of my image? I think I have a lot to learn in the compositer…

make the light a bit stronger
give the mouse hair

thank you for your reply!
but cycles can’t do hair yet… we have to wait until 2.62 or like so…

Merry Christmas although!

two things. First I think it is way too dark. Second, are those rat droppings?

Can’t cycles do hair is you convert to a mesh?

nope
those little things should be needles from a Christmas tree…

because of the mesh converting, didn’t try it out yet, I’ll give it a try!

Thanks!

I’ve had some luck creating fur… if you model a small, very long and thin shape and use the particle hair to display as those, it works quite well… I imagine it’d murder a lower end system so go easy with the particle count if you try it :smiley: … Looking nice though.

the other option would be to render the rat in blender internal, and composite it into the final with cycles