Christmas Villiage

I just cant resist entering Andrew’s new Christmas competition.

So far I have blocked out the scene, and given it some basic lighting. No materials yet.

Of course it will be a lot more “busy”, but this is the basic shape.

Your definitely off to a good start IMO. Looking forward to more. BTW can you share more of what your Christmas scene is going to be about.

share your WIPs please !!! may the best artist win !!!

A very small update, not too much time today… Just added some Christmas trees, and very basic color scheme. Remember, the buildings are just basic shapes so far.

BTW can you share more of what your Christmas scene is going to be about.

Just a nicely decorated village. Hopefully it will be the kind of picture that brings that cozy warm and festive feeling!

Lookin’ good already

I like it. Would look great with cobblestone street texture.

Ok, a little bit of an update. I didn’t have too much time to work on this recently, but hopefully that will change. I just added some snow (not all of it yet) and some basic textures.

Niiice, you are quite good i see with environments (buildings and what not, but i guess is mostly texturing?)

Wow looks really good. Love the puddles in the mud. Could you give some idea as to how you made the snow and puddles?

Niiice, you are quite good i see with environments (buildings and what not, but i guess is mostly texturing?)

Thanks man! Yep, so far it’s only simple building textures. I haven’t really gone into any detailing yet. I keep going on tangents like snow and Christmas trees :wink:

Could you give some idea as to how you made the snow and puddles?

They are actually both made the exact same way! I’ll give you a hint: displacement modifier.

So I just now realized how much time I have left… almost none. Now I guess we’ll see if I can turn something crappy into something decent in less than 2 days. LETS GO!!!

Ok, here’s where I’m at at the start of my sprint:

This is either going to end up really, really cool, or really, really dumb.

I say it will end up looking really really cool in both sense’s of the word. Also if I can suggest, I think this would look really good as a night scene but that’s just my opinion as I don’t know the contests parameters.

I kind of like it better in the day, but for your curiosity this is what it looks like at night (raw render so it’s too dark)

OK, some improvements. Now that I have all the basics finshed, I need go add details like decorations, lights, stuff in the windows, snow, etc…

Which perspective do you like better? Obviously I’d need to make the mud more detailed if I did it like this.
Any good ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan

I’d like the old perspective better. And beside, I think a nightscene would fit christmas better (I mean… it’s gettin dark early)
And the window on the right looks a little empty… how about some giftboxes next to the snowman?

maybe add a slight displacement to the puddles, like when wind pushes across water, not too much but enough to break the illusion of glass

Slow and steady wins the race, but not when the race is over in a day :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, some updates:

Looks really good thumbnail size :wink:
Thanks for the suggestions!

it looks great!! Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock :smiley:

I agree, great picture. The buildings are fantastic.
Now that being said, I made a list of what you could improve:

• I like the old perspective too.
  • I don`t like that fact that the road fill more than half of the image.
  • you should add more snowflakes. I`m not sure how you made them but try to make them so that are not 100% white.
  • Im not sure about the sky, it looks great but I dont know if it`s a winter season sky ^^
  • I like the daytime a bit more than the night time but just like Fenyce said the nighttime fits better to the winter so if you are able to spent a bit more than there I think it will look nicer.
    Other than that looks very nice.

off topic: Congratz for the blendercookie tut. I enjoyed it :slight_smile:

Cheers