Cinema 4D 2023

@Herbert123 @silex @Ace_Dragon Cinema 4D Discord server is way better than anything else out there… why bother with core4d? Let it go… :wink:

The platform where most content gets buried and is never seen again after a few days? Traditional forums are still lightyears ahead of the new-school sites in terms of access to information and discussions done over a long period.

3 Likes

No, that’s not true. Core4D is not Maxon official forum. They don’t have one.

Yeah, might look like that from the start, but no, it’s actually better… Discord is a chat AND a forum, and it’s very easy to find stuff, in fact it’s easier than traditional forums…

There’s also https://forums.cgsociety.org/c/software/maxon-cinema-4d , reddit. Obviously some sites are better than others, but core4d isn’t the only one.

Bonus points if you remember the days of Postforum. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not a regular poster here, but couldn’t pass by without a comment: Thorn? from Postforum? That’s a long time ago… Do I remember correctly you headed off to 3DS Max land back then? I stuck with C4D, but the ‘screw the customers as much as you can’ McGavran era has persuaded me to look elsewhere. I’ve been focusing on Houdini for the last 18 months or so. Good to find you’re still around!

I’m not going to reveal too much, but the reason C4D Cafe had to start charging - and change it’s name to Core4D - was a matter of survival… not choice.

1 Like

I really hate “rentware”!!! I stopped using any software that I cannot purchase and upgrade when I need and not be a slave to a monthly fee.

Either this is a way to keep money coming in every month or a way to curb piracy. I opt to believe that its a money thing as you can still get just about anything offered from piratebay.

I dumped Photoshop for GIMP, Illustrator for Inkscape, and so on. I use Vegas video since I can purchase a copy. Still using version 17 as it does everything I need. I do not need all the new bells and whistles. They gave me a choice… otherwise, I would be using another OpenSource program like KDENLive. Reallusion still allows for perpetual licensing and allows you to upgrade as you need. However, unlike with Vegas Video, the Reallusion upgrades are quite high… last round was almost like buying it all over again and not really an upgrade price.

Sad thing is… if you want to work… you need to know Adobe, Autodesk and so on as this is what is expected from “The Industry”. BLA! And technically Adobe can be considered a monopoly, even though there are others out there, I would estimate 98% (if not 100%) of any design job will require you to know Photoshop. I have never been looking for work where I saw a company requiring Corel, GIMP or others…

Ok, starting to rant… LOL. Sorry!

1 Like

Houdini is still available as a perpetual license, but not the cheaper Indie license.
The core license isn’t cheap, but you’ll get a perma license for a similar price than Autodesk asks for a 1 year rental of Max or Maya.

Interesting program. I have never heard of that one. Thanks for the heads up. It does look good however the 4500.00 price tag is a bit out of my range. Although with all the add-ons and content purchased from reallusion, I could have gotten this LMAO.

Hey there Mike :slight_smile:

Seems like a lifetime ago; I guess it was in some ways. Yeah, I used Max for several years, until my career went more into video and print and I wasn’t doing much 3D at all. When I started getting motivated to pick it back up, I came across Blender, and found it ticked most of the boxes on my wish list.

All the old manuals, CDs, etc are on a shelf here in my office - have a lot of fond memories of that time, Siggraph was always an epic week. Hope your life gone well, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed. In comparison to two decades prior, users currently have access to a vast array of complementary free and open source software that, dare I say, covers all their proprietary counterparts with comparable capabilities. I would say, that if you are not subject to any external control or oversight, you have the flexibility to exclusively utilize free software within all your work processes today.

Many businesses rely on software solutions to operate efficiently and effectively, this is an area where companies like Adobe and Autodesk can offer significant benefits, as they provide comprehensive support programs for their software solutions.

It’s great to find you still around. I remember the Postforum days with fond memories! Oddly enough I do video post work too - about 50% of my time is as an After Effects / Premiere pro trainer - but I’m aiming to focus fully on the 3D stuff in the future. At the moment I’m ‘enjoying’ learning Houdini, but it’s a beast that’s difficult to tame : ) I heard someone recently describe using as like being ‘kissed and slapped at the same time’. Too true!

1 Like

Right, there are benefits but again… but it enslaves you to a monthly fee. I cannot even use the old versions I have. I have the original Dreamweaver back when it was Macromedia before purchased by Adobe. I tried to install it a while back… forget the issue with it. I believe it tried to connect to something and went to Adobe and got blocked. Cannot remember.

I am just as fast and productive with the products I use. It’s all in what you know or care to learn.

It’s not just software companies that are doing this… hell… when was the last time you purchased a disk for a game? This electronic download system is a convenient way to buy a new game but again… you do not own it. When you finish it, get bored with it… you are now stuck with it… you cannot take that electronic game to your local game store and trade it in. Cannot give it to a friend, or sell it to a friend… you are now stuck with it like the game or not. Again… convenient for the lazy (myself included, i have many downloaded games on xbox)… but also a way for game companies to keep their sales up as the trading has been eliminated.

We get brainwashed that this is an awesome system… get free updates, bla bla bla… again, it’s just convenient, not necessarily better. I have a ton of games I no longer play or want… and stuck with non the less… Older software that should still be able to work and function as when purchased now blocked by a new company and licensing.

What can you do right? For me… I use other software(s), take a trip to my local game store more often… or limit my games to my 2 free per month with the gold membership. At least Microsoft let’s you keep those even when the subscription expires… unlike those greedy pigs at Sony LMAO! Anyone want a PS5? Barely used. :wink:

I did not clearly understand whether your objective is to secure employment within this industry.

But for the sake of it, I will deliberate upon that point. My own practice would be (this is my opinion and you are entitled to disagree of course) to utilize free and open-source software to hone my skills privately. When seeking employment requiring similar skill sets, I would prioritize highlighting my actual abilities and performance rather than focusing on the tools I’d used. I would however mention the tools I personally employ, to clarify my familiarity with related software enables a seamless transition between e.g. Gimp and Photoshop.

Overall, I sympathize. The significance of ownership for everyday individuals appears to have diminished for the market in recent times. However, I shall refrain from delving deeper into this subject as it may lead to a discussion on broader societal issues and/or politics, which is rarely deemed appropriate within the context of a forum focused on 3D graphics.

That is because I never said anything to that.

I was stating the poor methods of software companies and the way they enslave you to a monthly fee. I never mentioned anything about working in the industry or that these were bad products.

Hey, photoshop is a great program, 3ds max a great program, maya a great program… but the methods for their use are for sh*t. :wink: Unfortunately people have no spines and conform because they are told to. Well, that’s the way it is… what can I do? most say. So sad. :pensive:

I believe the miscommunication arose due to my interpretation of this quote. Specifically, I was uncertain whether you were speaking broadly or specifically about your situation at hand.

Given my updated understanding, I struggle to identify any obstacles in this situation. Just use open-source and free alternatives? I use them for all my projects, ranging from sound design, art, video editing, animation and programming. Works wonders.

no worries… it was probably my rant about rentware and the enslaving users to a monthly fee… I get off track at times… but in relationship to working for a company and neededing to pay a monthly fee, even if student is IMO outrageous. But that’s me :rofl:

I do, unless I find something I like that I can use without a monthly fee… Reallusion is one, Vegas Video is another and I like ArtRage as well… all perpetual licensing. I can use as long as I need and upgrade when I want. :+1: :wink:

No, don’t fight it, flow with it. Unleash that stored negative energy within you. In fact, let’s encourage these poor fools with their fee-enslaving platforms to continue their exploitation. The more they trap people in their clutches, the more we can lure unsuspecting victims into our open-source web of deception. Hmmhm-ha-HA-HAA!

Jokes aside (no offence meant), I believe that the move towards monthly fees by Autodesk and Adobe has been beneficial as it has led many more users to recognize the capabilities of free alternatives. And more users = more interest = more funding & development :slight_smile: I am happy.

I’m glad to hear that you found software that suits your needs and financial situation. :+1:

This is a key reason our company uses Adobe software. I’m not brainwashed. They make freaking great software, that gets production work done on a daily basis with minimal hassle and consistent results.

That doesn’t mean I love subscription fees, but like anything - it’s an issue of advantage vs disadvantage. My own company’s revenue depends somewhat on annual fees - it’s not because we’re evil, it’s because we have to stay in business in order to offer our services.

Blender is a rare gem in the DCC world - for many artists, it delivers above and beyond what they might need, and it does it well. For most other areas in the world of production, FOSS doesn’t even start to come close to fulfilling my requirements.

2 Likes

You’ve never heard of Houdini ? you’re in for a treat, check Entagma on youtube

1 Like