I was commissioned to create this shot in Blender, which took a couple months to produce. I used Blender 2.69 and the Internal Renderer for everything but compositing and the static effect. Blender’s node system was utilized to output different passes to separate image sequence files so complete light control could be achieved in After Effects. Additionally, I used Blender’s After Effects export function to transfer transform data into After Effects for automated decal placement on the solar panels. I welcome critiques!
I referenced Andrew Price’s Earth tutorial and used Render Street’s services to help complete the job. Enjoy!