Cinese Lantern

Hey guys, I’m doing a scene where there are some Chinese lanterns and I’m having a really hard time trying to get the materials to look right. Here is what I’m trying to achieve.

This is a very rough draft of what I have so far and I’m not satisfied with it.

I can’t seem to get the material to absorb the light any better, it’s too dark. and the flame doesn’t look that great ether.
Any help would be great, Thanks!

lantern.blend (1.49 MB)

You might try your image into a SS shader instead of translucent and diffuse mix.

I opened your file and, by removing the displacement texture on your paper, the lantern brightened considerably. It seems a bit superfluous in this application anyway, since the paper is being back lit.
I didn’t have the texture you used, so I used one that I had on hand and I kept the same shaders you had, I just set the emission strength to 100 and used a light color (#E7B87F) so that the flame looked white but cast a warm light.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!

You’re welcome!

Hi I’m glad that you got it to work, but after looking at the geometry of your lantern I think you might like to fix some of the problems there. 1. Lots of doubled vertices, mainly because:
2. The paper bag does not need to have a thickness; one surface should be fine.
3. Normals are not consistent because of the two surfaces.
4. The flame object has far more vertices than necessary!!!
If you are still following this thread people can help you resolve these issues.

If you want a more realistic flame (perhaps with smoke too) - take a look at my thread here:

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?302619-Integrating-fire-and-smoke-into-cycles-without-compositing