circles on faces!

I get circles on my faces, similar to the effect of throwing a stone in a pond. Can this be taken off somehow.

Are they black circles?

If you go into edit mode, with all of your vertexes selected, you can press Ctrl+n, and select the option.

Hope that helps :smiley:

thanks, but tried to recalculate normals but to no prevail. the circles are’nt black. They are just annoying since I made my room walls with a wallpaper texture, and now these circles are just making it look bad.

Is in the render or the editwindow? Can you post a screenshot?

Could be a shadow issue. Are the circles still there if you turn shadows off?
If this test confirms a shadow issue, you should adjust the shadow parameters for the relevant light sources, especially bias and buffer size until you get rid of the artefacts.

post an image!
without one its just guessing what it might be… %|

I noticed a similar problem on my friend’s laptop

i was just playing around with a simple mesh with materials and rendering, but i noticed rings that were on the mesh’s faces when i rendered

i think that it might have to do with your computer display

are ou using an LCD display?

or you can just post an image…

~Delta

actually, that is due to the video card somewhat, and possibly partly due to blender

so, what it looks like is the lighting on a wall from a lamp near the wall has lines where it is different colors

this appears because the transition isn’t smooth

it is a lot more evident when fewer colors can be represented by the display [like 16 bit color], but it still happens at 24 bit [what blender ends up showing], even though the effect is not less

simply put, displays don’t have enough precision to remove the artifacts

there is talk on blender.org and the committers mailing list of a dithering method which will make the effect at 24 bit be invisible [at native resolution].

well anway, how bad things look at 16 bit will not be a problem when you save

things will not look better in the saved file, or at 24 bits per pixel [color] [they should look the same] until the next release [when I expect the patch to be properly integrated] at which time the problems should be gone entirely

… I am a bit lazy to find the thread on blender.org first talking about this, maybe later

________ edit ________
like 4 seconds of time used to find this:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4837

unless you’re at 24 bit color you are unlikely to see the difference…

I thought this colorbanding was invisible on 24bit displays, even without dithering. When creating a gradient in the Gimp for example, no banding is visible.

Hmm, I inspected the image in the blender.org thread. The difference between the colorbands is indeed 1 for R, G and B, it can’t get more precise than that (when you’re dealing with grayscale).

If it is banding, it is likely that the cheating of an LCD(TFT) display my amplify this effect. You see, most TFT displays only display 18 bits, or 6 bits per channel, precision. They alternate pixelvalues very fast to give the impression that the color between two values is displayed. This is a form of dithering. See This Tomshardware article for more details.

But (on a sidenote), there is something I don’t understand. Paint programs always (at least in my experience) express the color in RGB values ranging from 0-255, 8 bits per channel. This makes for 24 bits for color images, and 32 bits for color images with an alpha (transparancy) layer. So how do these 8 bits values get stored when you convert the image to 16 bit? You can’t store each channel in 5.33 bits per pixel. Same goes for 8 bits images.