City Transit Bus

I started this project months ago and then got stuck and had no inspiration to continue. Well, now I’m going to get back into it and get some more work done, so here’s where I left off:

The seats are just stand-ins right now. I need to figure out how to design something less ugly.

Other things I plan on doing are:

• Rig the doors/windows to open and close
  • Rig the bus itself for use in animations
  • Add control switches for the lights, doors, etc.

Inspiration is credited to user @Kurtis, who modelled and rigged a bus as seen in this timelapse video: https://youtu.be/dxtysYm1FRU

5 Likes

This is a cool bus. It looks like all the basic modelling is completed. I can’t wait to see what it looks like when you are done.

Thanks for your appreciation! We’ll see how much more I can get done. I have very few good references so most of it comes out of my memory/imagination.

Looking great so far! I look forward to seeing where you take it

1 Like

Doing a little work on the steps…

Do you have a lot of bi-folding doors like that where you are? I vaguely remember bi-folds when I was very young say mid 90’s but they seemed to slowly vanish. For a while I thought they looked nicer than the newer swing-door type, but then I haven’t seen anything recent use them.

Similar to this maybe:

Credit: John Carter

Above aside, I love your floor texture, seems to have a slight rubbery feel. Makes more sense than ours which I think just use some kind of hard decorated flooring. Saying that, they probably wouldn’t be that well taken care of here!

I used a basic blueprint for the bus shell and then had to go mostly from memory/imagination. Since I’m older my memory is mostly of folding doors, so that’;s what I ended up with before I even realized it. :roll_eyes:

Maybe I’ll make non-folding doors for it at some point.

After watching your video (still watching), I see that I went way overboard on my meshes so I want to finish this and do another design and try to keep the mesh simpler. I never used any edge sharpening on this one, which is costing me. Over 2 million verts so far.

I made a short video to demonstrate the control system for the rigged doors.

1 Like

Just a

little update. The driver’s chair I’m working on.

2 Likes