Classroom

featured

(timdiaz3d) #1

Been wanting to dive into something like this for a while and a great time to jump into Blender 2.8. All modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering was done in Blender 2.8. Rendered in Cycles. Some textures were used from Quixel Megascans. Jackets were shaped using Marvelous Designer. Some Post work done in Photoshop.

Final Beauty Render

Screengrab of layout

Screengrab of Volume Scatter set up

(Yassir) #2

Great work!
Could you tell some details of some rough time estimation of how long was the modeling process?

(timdiaz3d) #3

Of course, so the overall estimate, including Blender and Marvelous was around 12 hours. I took awhile to look up measurements on how long/tall/deep pretty much everything was. Then making sure everything sat like it would in an average Japanese classroom. Composition and all that. Then just made one desk and instanced the heck out of it. same with the school supplies and classroom meshes. Then adjusted everything so they all sat different to push the fact different students have sat here and have their own way of working in class.

I have 4 bags in total, a hand bag, a shoe bag, and 2 book bags. I tired to model them with enough detail so they looked functional.

The jackets were quick since marvelous designer knows its clothes. Then I ran a sim on the jackets sitting on the chairs or spread across the chair seat so they looked like they were sitting correctly.

(Yassir) #4

Thanks for more details. 12h.
This will make a noob like me keep motivated that something awesome like this don’t come from just a mere 2-3 hours of work. Beside that the workflow must be sped up by your years of experience in 3d industry too.
Experience never lie. Must keep practicing to reach that excellence up there!
:slight_smile:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #5

You’re #featured! :+1:

(SK0441) #6

Hello. I am really impressed with your render. Can I get the node setup for compositor?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #7

I featured you on BlenderNation, enjoy :slight_smile:

(Member) #8

Looks really awesome man keep it up.

(timdiaz3d) #9

Thank you so much Bart, its always an honor!

(timdiaz3d) #10

I’d love to but I didn’t composite in Blender. It kept crashing on me. But I can show you what I did in Photoshop!

First I took the rough passes from Blender

Then I took the AO pass, removed the black from the windows and placed it on top and did an Overlay

If you look at the OG renders, you can see the HDRI in the back and it looks pixelated. So I took a cue from Blender Guru and the Classroom example from the Blender Website, I just blew it out to white. How you want to get there is up to you but I liked the lighting so I just took the window openings and filled them to white.

I thought the volume light was a little light so I took the Noisey Pass and put a screen filter onto of the current render and adjusted the light shaft brightness a little. As a happy bonus, it cleared up some of the darker spots from the OG render

So just to add a little sauce to the render, an old trick I’ve done is a spec bloom. So what that is, you find the brightest spot in your render, color range select, expand it, feather it

06_Expand 07_Feather 08_Fill

From there, you make a new layer and then use a fill, you should be filling whatever the bright color you selected. Then you take your spec bloom layer and find a filter that looks good to you.

So I don’t care what anyone tells you, when you move a render from Program to Program, Your render from your DCC app will lose some detail opening it anything not the original DCC app. When I look at my render from Blender and look at the same PNG is Photoshop, there’s small details that were lost. (or maybe there isnt, i want to think I’m right, Ha!) So an old trick I use is use and Unsharpen Filter. I put the amount to max, a straight 500 and when its done, its a very gritty picture. BUT at that point, you pick a filter, i use darker color and just turn the opacity to something around 20% or less and from that I get a lot of small details that were lost.

So one of the things that always bugs me about some renders are they are too perfect. Nothing is perfect so I force a “human error” So in Photoshop I use a lens correction and go into the advanced settings and force the red and green ranges to push in the positive and negative. This image is obviously way too much but its easier to see what I’m talking about. You find a nice range and then use the vignette and push that into the negative to push the ranges just a little bit more and it also pushes focus

After all that, I did a simple color balance and put my signature on it.

Hope that helps!

(islara1) #11

really good, 12 hours are machine speeeeeeed!!!???
but i think the windows shouldn’t be all bright like this, may be only one side so bright, shouldn’t it?

Amazing!!!
and your helpfull description too!
i have to pratice when i want to be good as you, because i’m a noob in Blender, but at the beginning we all are noobs :wink: