Clavicula 3D editor

Clavicula is a 3D editor offering several 3D modeling methods, including SDF modeling.

It’s available for Windows, macOS, Linux and Oculus VR.

Video of the recently added SDF functionality:

12 Likes

It seems there has been some nice advancement in this type of technology.

Forgive me if I am being a little too pessimistic here, but do the people making this have an idea as to when this will become an Autodesk, Adobe, Maxon, or Luxology product? The issue with that these small software houses use slick demos and innovative tools to attract users, so that they can make an attractive proposition to one of the big players.

That said, it shouldn’t stop people from buying it while the licensing is still favorable, just make sure you do not get too dependent on waiting for roadmap features.

Yeah, I’m also always a bit nervous that a promising new tool might be kidnapped by one of the big CG corporations and become another subscription nightmare. I’ve got the same drop of cold sweat on my forehead when it comes to MagicaCSG. I’m supporting the indie developer via Patreon, but there’s always a risk that Adobe, Autodesk, Foundry or Maxon comes up with an offer that can’t be refused.

Better not show this to Adobe…they’ve been trying to get into the 3d modeling space for a long time. The tools they have now are really rudimentary.

2 Likes

By the way, you can achieve an interesting effect in Clavicula that you can’t do in MagicaCSG.

1 Like

Yeah the chamfering / filleting of an SDF Boolean result is quite nice, assuming you mean that. :slightly_smiling_face:

This app looks pretty cool, the main issue I am having with it is that it sucks the life out of my GPU.

You can limit the FPS from the right panel / rendering (second) tab.

1 Like

Thanks but that did not help (set to 50fps), it still uses like %96 of my 3080. It uses a lot of GPU even when I am not interacting with it.

By the way, will the deleted tools from the first versions, when the project was still called Neobarok (like the different modes of bloat for the profile, extrud, cut and others) ever come back? I, for example, really miss the profile with different thicknesses, I really hope that this feature will return in the next version.

Wow soft looks very promising! Any way to see customizible navigation in future? Especially inverted mouse zoom…

1 Like

Do you people know how to move the SDF by layers, like to have the subtraction higher in the hierarchy than the merge?

Did you also click on “Limit FPS” button? Otherwise the FPS will not be capped:
image.png

I will reply to all here:

Customization for mouse and hotkeys will be added in the future.

The goal this year is to get all the Profile, BiTools, sculpting and extrusions from Neobarok back into Clavicula as well as get VR up to date with desktop version.

The SDFs are added in depth-first order of the hierarchy. I will need to add some way to change the order of children in hierarchy (and probably also a scene tree view). But besides that all you can do now is unparent and reparent the SDF to the root SDF object so that it is evaluated later in the function.

4 Likes

Sounds promising. I’d love to see SDF curves added to Clavicula.

Why do CSG booleans (which are for meshes) work so strangely? For example, I subtract from the small sphere to the big sphere and it turns out as in the screenshot, i.e. both spheres are subtracted from the small sphere. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.
P.S. Why news on the software will be posted only on Facebook? After all, you have to register to read news about this program, it is not convenient! It would be better to have news published on Twitter.
изображение

1 Like

Thanks, that helps but it is still not so good. It is using %30 of my GPU constantly, even when I am not doing anything with it. I would say that this is really not acceptable from the user perspective, given even Blender never uses that much unless I am rendering with GPU. I cant let it stay in the background.

Another issue I have with it is that the clicks generally do not register right away, I generally end up clicking on buttons multiple times to activate a button function.

I also get these kinda tears with SDF meshes.

The tears are from the shader discarding fragments when not converging, it’s fixed in 0.9.9.4 - in progress (and 0.9.9.2 for that matter but you don’t have some optimizations there). You can increase the SDF iterations in the panel in the right / Shaders tab (there’s a clip on SDF tips in the tutorials)
And those aren’t yet meshes, it’s raymarching (which is expensive), up until you voxelize the result from the object menu (right click). The tears won’t show up in the voxelization, they are just an artifact of directly rendering the SDFs.

The viewport is deactivated when window is minimized, but not when it’s inactive (for capture reasons).

2 Likes

The CSG subtract from both spheres happens because of geometry instancing (which is default). Same as if you try to sculpt one of the spheres. You can right click on the sphere you want to modify (alone) and select Unique in the menu.

I’d really like that too, I’m also not on Facebook. Alternatively or additionally, @hypnotau could include a news blog on his site that includes an RSS / Atom feed, so we can subscribe to that using a feed reader.

News sharing in this thread is also much appreciated. :+1:

3 Likes