I’m an indie game developer working on a multiplayer, cover-based third-person shooter themed around cyberpunk and magical girls. The game is planned to have a rating of “Pulp Fiction”… features include dismemberment, blood, yuri, and (hopefully) sexy models that will get the game banned from Playstation. It’s still in prototype and will be for a while, as I’m a one-man development team finishing my final year at university. However, I’ve been dipping my toes into the world of contracted art for the past year, I’ve learned a lot, and I’m ready to try again with a bigger investment.
Here’s the gist of it… I need an artist who would be very comfortable modelling this: Marie Rose, Dead or Alive - 3D model by Damo Designz (@damodesignz) [ff7528a] - Sketchfab
The character model linked above (minus the trademarked aspects of the character like her hair style and clothing) is exactly what I’m looking for. If you can use that as a 1-to-1 reference to create a base model, head, and face, along with a new hair piece and a “magical girl” outfit, you’re hired!
… almost. Now for the gotchas. In addition to the model and outfit, there is some other key work I will need done:
- Texturing of the base model, head, hair, and outfit (the texture of the model linked above is a bit too “flat”, but it’s stylistically what I want)
- Model must be rigged using the UE4 Mannequin skeleton as a base.
- Proper skin weighting so that the model deforms nicely during animation, particularly around the arms, legs, and buttocks.
- Basic facial morph targets that allow me to move the jaw and close/open eyelids.
- Hair needs to be “physics ready”. Please refer to this video if you’ve not seen how this is typically done in UE4.
- Separation of model and outfit into pieces (hair, head, top, bottom, feet) such that players will be able to easily swap clothing pieces around in-game (in addition to magical girl outfits, future outfits will range from 2-piece lingerie to dresses to t-shirts and skirts).
Finally, I must stress that the attractiveness and quality of the model is of key importance to the project. The character model is practically the centerpiece of the design, because the target audience is mainly an otaku fanbase who will be instantly drawn in by the “cute girls shooting each other” gameplay. I’ll also be using a FTP pricing model, so customization is a high priority on the list of features. The character model needs to be high quality, sexy, easy on the eyes even at close distances, and properly weighted/rigged so that I don’t get any strange deformations during dynamic animations (rolling, taking cover, etc.).
My budget for the project is ~$3000, ranging up to $4000 depending on the complexity of the outfit and how smoothly the rigging job goes. Mind you, I’m an indie developer attending university with an ambitious project goal… you’ve all heard the story enough I will say I don’t want to scare away exceptional talent with price, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you’re interested. I can’t stretch my budget beyond what’s responsible, but I’m always open to working things out and this needs to be done right.
I have many more details I could share, but I’d like not to make this post any longer than it is. Please PM me with work samples and any initial questions you may have if you are interested!